1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Comet Is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery

Discussion in 'music' started by mikechadwick, Feb 8, 2019.

1. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Just been listening to a promo CD of this at my local Indie store. It’s stunning, a definite contender for Jazz album of 2019. Release date is March 15th http://www.thecometiscoming.co.uk/

jackbarron, kjb and lordsummit like this.
  2. Spiderous

Spiderous pfm Member

Channel the Spirits is a good record.

For a reason I can’t remember I missed them when they played Liverpool last year.

3. Caliente

Caliente pfm Member

Looking forward to this!

4. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

Comet?

There is only one song about, a comet.

It is this. (apologies for the digression)

5. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Member

It also looks like the new Impulse is supporting Shabaka Hutchings in a big way, with Sons of Kemet and now The Comet is Coming albums coming out on the label http://www.impulserecords.com/ Will be seeing them in Glasgow on the first date of their upcoming tour.

mikechadwick likes this.
  6. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

I have heard one track, sounds superb.

May go to see them again if they play smallish venues.

Bloss

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m a bit late finding this lot, but it really is excellent stuff. The current album caught my interest, so I agonised for a while whether to buy it on vinyl (it is Impulse after all) or CD, then figured out I could have both this and the preceding double album for the same price if I went the latter route, so did that. Really superb stuff. Jazz with just the right bit of Hawkwind added! I’ve seen a lot of likening them to Sun Ra, but I’d say it is rather more accessible than that. I definitely need to catch them live.

PS Obligatory monetised link.

8. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Rather enjoying this right now. Thanks.

9. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

Just giving this a go (late to the party as ever) via Qobuz and really enjoying it.

Mick

10. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

I must catch up with some of their stuff on CD. I have a copy of the Prophecy EP on vinyl, still shrinkwrapped (and looking at the prices it is going for I think it may stay that way.) It also came with a rather fetching t-shirt which, despite supposedly being Large is too embarrassing to be seen in until I lose a stone or so. Something else on the ‘to do’ list.

...and now I have found I also have Channel the Spirits on vinyl, again still shrinkwrapped (although I can feel the included CD version inside.) That was in a cupboard next to Burn by SoK (yet again still shrinkwrapped.) The phenomenon of finding long-forgotten purchases is one of the few benefits of getting old and forgetful.

Snufkin and mikechadwick like this.
  11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I heard the track with Kate Tempest, wasn't hugely impressed will give the album a listen via Spotify

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

My initial feeling having been exposed to both albums at once is that the first one, Channel The Spirits, is the stronger.

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

This:

Is just amazing!

misterdog, jackbarron and Hempknight like this.
  14. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

If you're enjoying the Comet is Coming then check out Melt Yourself Down, another cosmic jazz outfit that featured Shabaka Hutchings among others in the original lineup. I'm not sure that they are still a going concern, but the three LPs they released between 2013 and 2016 (2 studio and a belting live LP) hit the same spot ad CiC.

Here is an Amazon link to the back catalog:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...wn&sprefix=melt+yo,aps,148&crid=32ADHJEAD8J4X

The Bandcamp is here:
    https://meltyourselfdown.bandcamp.com/#_=_

It might be worth taking a few minutes of your time to listen to some of the free streams on Bandcamp, particularly the first LP, if The Comet Is Coming is your sort of thing.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    jackbarron likes this.
  15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Cool, I'll check them out. I'm really knocked out by The Comet Is Coming, just astonishing playing and a remarkably full sound given the line-up. Here's another truly superb gig:

Everything I thought listening to the albums would have been sequenced is played absolutely live. I know the keyboard rig very well (Roland Juno 60, SH-09, Boss DD-7 Delay (in the later vid the 60 looks to have been replaced with a 106)) but I've never seen anyone play like that! I was so expecting a Macbook and Logic somewhere! The drummer is just the same, technical beyond comprehension. I guess this is what happens when a generation grows up with complex electronica, techno, drum & bass etc and jazz!

jackbarron likes this.
  16. Konteebos

Konteebos Ignorant Uninformed Hard Remainer

I saw them play Glasgow last Month, great gig with a (mostly) fairly young crowd, lots of dancing going on.

17. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

18. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Lovers of the TCIC might also love this.

19. Yes always enjoyed BadBadNotGood, thanks for the link.

Cheers BB

20. hockman

hockman pfm Member

Thanks for that. Colin Stetson is at a different level altogether from Hutchings, not even close.