1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Electronica Thread

Discussion in 'music' started by Cereal Killer, May 7, 2011.

1. TranceAtlantic 1&2 and Thunderhead are still my most played.
    I have a load of there improv stuff from live shows you can't buy.
    Lots of Hampshire Jam and other weekend gatherings stuff by other great bands also.
    Some greats used to play in a old school in Burton Upon Trent over a weekend a few years ago.
    People would come from all round the world for those weekends.
    Brenden Pollard had to sell this lot [​IMG] and more when his his lovely wife got MS a few years ago.
    Most of the Zeit bands do everything for the love of it and never make any money out of it.

2. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

The good news is Brendan's said he's interested in making music again after the CD he made with Mick Daniel and Javi Canovas. Fingers crossed he may put a small studio in his new house.

Awakenings still runs at Burton, the next one on 29 Sep featuring Volt, Booth & Creek and Pete Challoner. I might go to that one as I'm a big fan of Mike Shipway / Volt.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  3. I've been out of the loop for a few years now.
    I have a good mate up the road that used to go to all the Burtons and bring me the music back.
    Good to hear its still going.
    Is it in a different place?
    Good to hear Brendan's still at it.
    Do you know how his wife is doing?

4. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

I don't think there's much wrong with Duffy, but more to the point it was about 03:50 am and I was a bit pissed.

Well yes. Even I like some Kraftwerk and other stuff. What gets to me is this thing where they start with some 'boppy' stuff, give it a couple of minutes and then go all 'spacey/dreamy' for a bit before rerturning with a 'bumpity bumpity bumpity bump. So predictable but worse.. not very interesting.

Not for me I'm afraid, I do get the 'soundscape' thing, but find it utterly boring.

Now Dylan, or possibly even more so Cohen, play with words and melodies to generate images not just of place, but of situation, relationship, motivation etc.

5. If you want mellow?
    [​IMG]
    This is a brilliant album if you can find a CD now.

6. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

The Awakenings gigs are still at the Paget

http://www.awakenings-em.co.uk/index.htm

7. Black_Flag

Black_Flag pfm Member

It's a fair way from some of the high brow (compliment!) suggestions but Modeselektor make great electronic/dance music - upbeat, slightly absurd & inventive. Their albums Hello Mom! and Monkeytown are great examples.

8. Sonority

Sonority pfm Member

Cosmic Ground II arrived today - Thanks for the heads up Seeker.
    Superb 'Old School Berlin' in the Rubycon style, nicely powerful.

Cosmic Ground I arrives shortly, at a much better price than 'Amazon'.
    There was some vinyl. but that disappeared pretty quick, wonder if it was purchased by a reader of this thread..

9. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

I bought Jeff Mills "Live At The Liquid Room" in late '95 from Giant, during a visit to my Nan in Portishead. Life changing moment, that.

10. adamk

adamk pfm Member

CD's are mostly upwards of £40 on Discogs - download is your cheapest option.
    There are meant to be some vinyl issues coming by the end of the year.
    CBL albums World of Sleepers & Interloper are also of the same superb quality.

11. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

The Black Dog Spanners album is a cracker..... opening track is one of the most gorgeous melancholic pieces I've heard...