1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The end of the IC engine

Discussion in 'off topic' started by tones, Jul 26, 2017.

1. steveledzep

steveledzep pfm Member

I have a dashcam because I've seen too many d!ckhead drivers. If I'm involved in an incident caused by one of those drivers I want some evidence.

2. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I'd like to think at the very least we could go back to wearing clothes made of natural materials, like cotton, linen, wool and leather instead of artificial stuff. Most low rent clothes shops are full of cheap smelly petrochemical apparel.

3. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

About 300,000 commute daily to Singapore. They have to clear immigration nand customs. Imagine having passport control at the M25

4. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

That's what many people start with, but then a few start posting mind numbing videos on YouTube of them being cut up on Tonbridge high street. Funny thing is, they just show the world how poor their own driving is.

Living and working somewhere that isn't congested is the best solution.

5. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

6. steveledzep

steveledzep pfm Member

Agreed :)

Carmarthenshire is beautifully uncongested.

7. mpj88

mpj88 Well-Known Member

Agreed,i try and get on the road at 9am and get home before 4pm to avoid traffic and bonkers commuters!

8. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Memories of driving home to Pembrokeshire, stuck behind caravans and agricultural show lorries at St Clears

9. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

I bet Tigerjones read the thread title as 'The end of the Interest Check engine'.

10. MVV

MVV pfm Member

I appreciate the air quality angle and general direction of travel. However I still find it difficult to believe that a battery powered car uses fewer natural resources and pollutes less overall (manufacturing, electricity generation etc) than a small efficient petrol one.

11. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

It's because it's (currently) cheaper. We have no replacement materials for phones, computers, cars ...

Without petrochemical plastics, our way of life is basically over.

This is fascinating. We basically know how much plastic we've made. The estimates for how much we've dumped are sobering.

Stephen

12. Tony Lockhart

Have you heard of renewables and power storage?

13. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Holy crap thats just horrible. How goddam awful of us :(

14. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

The environmental impact of extraction of rare earth metals to make batteries and the controlling electronics is massive. We seem to be very happy to let it happen though because the impact is not against schools within 150 yards of a main road.

Even if you ignore everything but CO2 creation, you have to drive 160000 miles before a hybrid becomes more environmentally friendly.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/sc...r-production-waste-offset-hybrid-benefits.htm

15. Tony Lockhart

But that's looking backwards, not forwards. Battery production will improve in every way.

16. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

I hope so.

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

The pace of development has been staggering even in only 10 years, certainly 15. Back then an electric car was a milk float. LED lights were useless, apart from red ones that were OK on bikes. Now they are replacing halogen. The electric car will happen, and classic cars will be like steam engines.

18. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

We are currently having a low oil price because none of the oil producers are at war. By 2040 many of those wells will be like the North Sea examples, empty.

19. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

20. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Now there is a world shortage of cobalt, which ideally would be 20% of the battery. This has been cut to 10%, but this may have reliability consequences