1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The finest conductor I've never heard of

Discussion in 'classical' started by marshanp, May 18, 2020.

1. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Come on, surprise me :)

Romantic and modern repertoire much preferred...

...and no need to tell me about Frank Shipway or Mark Gorenstein or Lorenzo Viotti :cool:

2. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Anton Nanut? Wonderful Bruckner interpretations with less than wonderful orchestras. Jerry, who used to be here occasionally, sent me his Bruckner 8th, it would have been magnificent but for the Llubljana State Symphony Orchestra. I wondered what he could have done with any of Europe's leading orchestras.

3. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Aha! I had imagined that Nanut was a pseudonym, but no, checking on abruckner.com reveals that he was real, and therefore (Bruckner being my favourite composer, as I may have intimated before now :rolleyes:) demands immediate investigation!!

An underrated (but not unknown) Bruckner conductor, whose recordings are now mostly difficult to source, is Gerd Albrecht. His 6th with the Czech Philharmonic (one of my favourite versions) is on Qobuz.

PS Albrecht's Bruckner 4 can be heard here on abruckner.com, John Berky's superlative web resource:
    https://www.abruckner.com/downloads/downloadofthemonth/May20/

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  4. fegs

fegs Well-Known Member

I was hoping this was another cable thread :D

5. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Bruckner is it? Horst Stein seems to be largely forgotten nowadays, but his 1970s Bruckner 6th with the VPO on Decca is superb. Didn't realise there is also a no.2 but its one Bruckner symphony I just can't get a grip on.
    He also conducted the VPO for Friedrich Gulda's set of the Beethoven concertos.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Yes, I have that Stein recording of the 6th. He was pretty good at Sibelius, too... Then (in the 6th) Bongartz (who he?) is highly rated. Neither displaces my two favourites... Solti (who has the huge advantage of the Chicago SO in the form of their lives, and a fine Teldec recording too) and Norrington, since you asked :)

The Dausgaard recording of 2 with the Swedish Chamber Orchestra was my way into that work. His recently released 6th with the Bergen PO is very fine too. Cracking conductor - my best "away" concert last year was his Schelomo/Mahler 1 in Glasgow with the BBC Scottish SO.

7. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

I saw Dausgaard conduct Bruckner's 9th with the BBC SSO a few years back - yes, very good indeed. He also did the completion of the finale which I didn't find very convincing tbh. His Dvorak symphony recordings with the Swedish Chamber Orchestra are excellent. But he's hardly an unknown! I also have his Seattle Symphony recording of Mahler 10.... its good but nothing special.

8. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

I wonder if Dausgaard used the "SPCM" completion (the one that Rattle favours)? I think that falls flat on its face at the coda. The one by William Carragan is (in my view, anyway) far, far superior because Carragan, a musician, is not afraid to compose across the gap in the surviving material, whereas the SPCM team are just musicologists doing reconstructive work. Carragan's first version (Talmi, Oslo PO, Chandos) has for me never been improved upon, although he has made several subsequent revisions.

I sat next to the man at St Florian to hear Bruckner 7 on the 2018 Bruckner Tour. He is very approachable, but I thought better than to ask why he had carried on amending the 9th's finale when he got it so right first time...

9. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

And stone me, there it is on the wonderful Qobuz :cool:

Duly "favourited" - will play it when I'm in a Bruckner mood. Thanks for the tip-off.

10. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Sir Anybody you like in UK.

11. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Living British conductors tend not to be obscure for long in our age of mass media. Watch Alpesh Chauhan's star continue to rise... We had him as a CBSO Assistant Conductor at Symphony Hall for a while, and I heard some very fine things from him.

Among conductors no longer with us I rate Neville Dilkes, whose version of Butterworth's A Shropshire Lad is still my favourite, 45 years or so from first hearing (it can be found in a Warner Classics British Composers compilation called "The Lark Ascending Collection" ...and sure enough, there it is on Qobuz). He made only a few recordings.

Then there is Frank Shipway, whose odd career took him to some unlikely places - but not generally for very long at a time, because he was apparently a very difficult man...

His Mahler 5 with the RPO is pretty good, and there are some fine recordings of his with the Sao Paulo SO (!) on BIS.