1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The forthcoming demise of the Conservative minority government, May 2017-? part II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by TheDecameron, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Psychopaths.

2. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

Truss is the only one left in Cabinet meetings now. Though we've moved from Britannia Unchained to Britannia Unhinged.

[​IMG]

TheDecameron likes this.
  3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

4. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

I wonder who the "we" is in that article? A very small group I would imagine. How many does a bunch of c\/nts comprise of...

5. Still

Still beware of the duck

Recently on an average day in the UK:

3,700 need to visit a food bank
    5,400 suffer domestic violence
    4,750 homeless sleeping on the streets
    4 migrants arrive in boats across the Channel

No prizes for guessing which one the government consider a major incident.

rbrown, Barrymagrec, Vauxhall and 6 others like this.
  6. TheDecameron

I couldn’t help notice the prominence being given to this in the media and attention not out of compassion for the the poor sods, more like Project Foreigner Fear. Sajid Javid is milking it like a hairless part of Trump anatomy.

Caroline Nokes, anti-immigration Minister is at the situation room, bigging up Javid as Commander in Chief-

“Speaking during a visit to Dover on Saturday, Nokes said: “I can’t comment on his [Javid’s] whereabouts for security reasons, but he is on his way back and he will be at his desk on Monday. He is taking control of the situation and I am in regular contact with him, and we had a conference call just yesterday.”

Still likes this.
  7. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

BBC front and centre on all this. Christ I hate what this country is becoming.

8. TheDecameron

Caroline Nokes, tipped (by Nokes and Javid) as a future Home Secretary in a Javid government, has been advised to position herself on the beach, her face clearly visible, to prevent anyone getting out of a boat-

[​IMG]

SteveS1, HairyHaggis and ff1d1l like this.
  9. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Times stoking outrage. Guardian reporting the usual disinformation about people smugglers straight. Moderates trying to score points with tough talk about borders. I hope everyone enjoyed the years of s___ stirring and sadism that led to Brexit, because those responsible have noticed that they suffered zero personal consequences for it and have decided to do it all again. Get ready for 2019.

10. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

It's beginning to look a lot like Brexit.

Nokes is filth by the way:

A proper sociopath.

11. TheDecameron

Question for you- why would any political party collude now with Brexit? Labour should have come out unequivocally and stood against Brexit and all its works.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and ff1d1l like this.
  12. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

So true, the gammon will be lapping it up of course. The toad Javid's leadership bid gets under way.

13. Nero

Nero It's unlikely

Although I agree Nokes is a nasty piece of work, it only helps her cause posting edited highlights from RT. Shit or not, I'd go with the BBC every time

14. TheDecameron

They’ll be sending Redwood down to frighten children back into the water. The whole thing is pandering to anti-foreigner ethnic nationalism and let’s face it, that’s exactly what Brexit is. The pretence is being dropped by May now, the Tories have even outflanked Batten and Tommy Robinson.

tqineil likes this.
  15. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

I'm no great fan of RT but the videos aren't edited. They're brief but they're true to the wider context of the exchanges between Cooper and Nokes and clearly reveal the latter's arrogance and plain nastiness. I used them because they were the best quality versions I could find find of the relevant appearances.

As for the BBC, it's become the government's official channel for broadcasting xenophobic propaganda, as shown by its uncritical reporting of this story and failure to challenge Javid's claim that it represents a "major incident". Horrific.

Nero likes this.
  16. TheDecameron

Javid will be claiming five grooming gangs a day are coming in by rubber dinghy

17. Nero

Nero It's unlikely

The sad thing is that we've had people crossing the channel for years - here in Chichester, they regularly pick people up at the local marina. A cynic would say that this latest scare is being manufactured for Brexit purposes. Shurely shome mishtake?

If they were serious, they would have a few more BF cutters available, instead of the three overstretched boats in the fleet (0ne of which is on its way back from the Med AIUI). Never mind, the RNLI can step in.

Good article here. I am indeed ashamed.

droodzilla likes this.
  18. Nero

Nero It's unlikely

That will knock it over the edge - good strategy.

19. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

[​IMG]

sean99 likes this.
  20. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

The truth is we can't know. All I can say is what I'd be thinking in their place. And that is first of all that Brexit was an anti-establishment vote: for the establishment to simply refute it would be counterproductive. I would be allowing public opinion to lead. Each dead end has to be experienced and understood by the public before an establishment force can take hold of the argument. (A citizen's assembly could give this process some positive value, but I know you're not keen.)

I would also be thinking: if I ____ this up, it's Tory Brexit, and Tory rule for the foreseeable. I'd have fully digested the statistics that tell me how easy it would be to ____ this up, and I'd be eyeing the polls, looking for signs of hope.

Unlike most remainers I also wouldn't be looking at a picture defined by progressive EU immigration policies and racist Brexity immigration policies: I'd be looking at different strains of murderous racist endeavour, and thinking about the best point to make an intervention. I think it's pretty clear that the EU is the lesser evil here but it's not clear cut. If we leave the EU we drop the Dublin rules on asylum, which actually makes deportation harder - which will in some ways improve the lot of asylum seekers in this country. We can certainly expect more of them.

So I can't really answer your question, but this is what I'd be thinking, and these aren't especially wacky or sophisticated thoughts: they will have crossed the minds of most responsible and internationally-minded lefties, I think. There are other explanations: it may be that Corbyn and co are reckless disaster communists, hoping that Brexit will bring the country to its knees, so that they can impose a soviet system. It may be that they are ruthless careerists, prepared to throw immigrants under the bus in their quest for power. It may be that they are working through their own post-imperial fantasies at the nation's expense. They might just be directionless, principle-free idiots, following whatever agenda the tabloids choose to set with no real conception of the consequences. Of course for these explanations to be persuasive you have to forget everything you know about the people in question, but a lot of people seem to be managing that just fine.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.