1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The genius that was Douglas Adams

Discussion in 'off topic' started by deebster, Mar 5, 2020.

1. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Can't see that he's had his own thread here before, which seems odd, so shortly before he would have been 68 shall we have one?

When I was given The Hitchhiker's Guide to read in my late teens - or rather ordered to by my boss - I must've just skimmed through it so didn't get it. I think it was repeats of the TV series that first clicked with me and then going back to the book it all made perfect sense. Well...

It's still my favourite book. Mind-bending physics, philosophy, lots of others things I don't know the words for, and spit out your tea funny too.

2. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

The original radio series is what it`s all about, everything stems from that, absolutely fantastic.

Dozey, Jonathan, Zeusum and 8 others like this.
  3. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

And he predicted the modern high street

Barrymagrec likes this.
  4. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I missed the original radio series, but bought the book out of curiosity about the title. Never looked back. Genius.

5. mykel

mykel Fat guy flying.

Best "trilogy" ever.

6. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

I met him once, when I was working for the BBC. It would have been when the TV version of HHGG was first broadcast. He was appearing on a chat show and the producer brought him over to see the clips of the programme that were being used. Although he was very pleasant and friendly I was somewhat awestruck and intimidated. When the producer saw me later in the bar he said with a big grin on his face ‘Were you feeling OK this morning Marchbanks? When I introduced you to Douglas Adams you didn’t seem to be your usual smart-arse self!’ Bastard.

I still have the original broadcast of the original series taped off-air onto cassette. In stereo!

7. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

I listened to the original radio play, use to listen to a bootleg cassette of it, read the book, had the album, saw the TV series, watched the film version when it finally was made and for my 21st birthday, saw the stage version at the Rainbow in Finsbury Park. I think, that's the only work I have ever managed all those formats. .

8. deebster

And Total Litigation Syndrome, the Internet, smartphones

9. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

Never heard of him...

10. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

In fact it was probably the most remarkable book ever to come out of the great publishing houses of Ursa Minor - of which no Earthman had ever heard either.

Not only is it a wholly remarkable book, it is also a highly successful one - more popular than the Celestial Home Care Omnibus, better selling than Fifty More Things to do in Zero Gravity, and more controversial than Oolon Colluphid's trilogy of philosophical blockbusters Where God Went Wrong, Some More of God's Greatest Mistakes and Who is this God Person Anyway?

In many of the more relaxed civilizations on the Outer Eastern Rim of the Galaxy, the Hitch Hiker's Guide has already supplanted the great Encyclopedia Galactica as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, for though it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate, it scores over the older, more pedestrian work in two important respects.

First, it is slightly cheaper; and secondly it has the words Don't Panic inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover...

11. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

(& so pre-dates/predicts both the smartphone /iPad, and Wikipedia thereupon...)

Landlord - 6pints and some peanuts, quickly now; and keep the change...

peterm likes this.
  12. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I always remember this line "the commander of the Vl'Hurgs, resplendent in his black jeweled battle shorts"

There are days that I feel I would benefit from a pair of black jeweled battle shorts.

darrenyeats and cutting42 like this.
  13. deebster

Watching the match tonight?

14. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

They are overrated. Trust me.

darrenyeats, sean99 and Alex S like this.
  15. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

No point

16. peterm

peterm pfm Member

It's a parody of course but I still like Mel Brooks' "spaceballs" "Pizza the Hut!

17. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Meaning of Liff is a hidden gem

darrenyeats, Rcook, tqineil and 2 others like this.
  18. mansr

mansr Well-Known Member

When I was 13, my English teacher handed me the first Hitchhiker's book with words to the effect of "I think you'll like this." She was right. We need more teachers like her.

19. narabdela

narabdela who?

The original radio series was brilliant.

The tv series was quite good.

The movie was a ****ing train wreck.

Never read the books.

mikemusic likes this.
  20. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

You should read the Dirk Gently series, brilliant