1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The genius that was Douglas Adams

Discussion in 'off topic' started by deebster, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

The original radio series was brilliant and it had some excellent music. I was drawn in immediately I heard the first episode because they were using Terry Riley for part of the soundtrack - now that was cool. The books were great as were his two Dirk Gently books. I never really got any of the visual versions of Hitch Hikers.

2. mansr

mansr Well-Known Member

I wonder if an Electric Monk can be made to debate cables so you don't have to.

MJS and Snufkin like this.
  3. Graham B

Graham B pfm Member

I was hooked after I read the books at 13 or 14, and avidly read everything he published afterwards. I found the radio series and tv series afterwards and loved those too. My English teacher at the time discussed them a lot with us, and selected Slaughterhouse 5 as one of our O level study books, on the very correct assumption that if we liked Douglas Adams then Vonnegut would be right up there too. Happy days, and I still re-read both authors.

Snufkin and FireMoon like this.
  4. peterm

peterm pfm Member

I loved Peter Jones as "the voice of the book".

I liked his Schweppes tonic adverts too!

After he stopped doing the Schweppes ads I read that suggestions for a replacement advert were solicited within the advertising company and the person who volunteered the (rather brilliant I thought) "Jesus Schwepped" was sacked!

Snufkin, FireMoon and mansr like this.
  5. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

Wretched, isn't it...

6. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

I got an award for that...

7. Markyb

Markyb pfm Member

Meaning of Liff is a hidden gem

Also Deeper meaning of Liff which a friend bought me

Indeed it is, I particularly liked the corridor etiquette words. Corrie Vorrie Corrie Cravie etc

Gaycha and Rcook like this.
  8. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

What's that, foregone conclusion then, you reckon sir? Arsenal without a chance?

KrisW likes this.
  9. KrisW

KrisW pfm Member

For me, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is his best book - it's a good head above the rest: the only book I've ever got to the last page of and then immediately started from the beginning again. There's a Netflix "adaptation" that I urge you to avoid at all costs - it's nihilistic and bloodthirsty and looks like exactly the sort of thing that Mr Adams would never have approved in a million years.

Life, The Universe and Everything
    was my favourite of the Hitch-hiker's series. I believe both of these are based on scripts that Adams wrote for Doctor Who in the 1970s that were not filmed, so we have BBC production unions to thank for something at least (Knowing that, you can see that Professor Reg and Slartibartfast, respectively, take the roles of "the Doctor")

About six years ago, I lent the HHGTTG anthology to my youngest friend, who's about 15 years or so younger than me, so born in mid-1980s. I was a little shocked that her verdict was that it was a bit "dated", but when I read them again myself I could see where she was coming from - Adams had a particular style of comedy that has been copied and honed so many times that the original doesn't stand out anymore..

Adams suffered from pretty serious depression all through his life, which is why there's so few books, and so much unfinished work, and a couple of books that really were unfinished but had to be published (Mostly Harmless, particularly).

10. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

You can still play the game here. And it's brilliant.

First broadcast of S1 and 2 on radio are the best.

Stephen

11. stephen bennett

As is ...

[​IMG]

Stephen

paulfromcamden and Gaycha like this.
  12. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

What do you think half the protagonists on cable threads already are?

13. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

Ooh yes - I saw the play twice. Made me jump when they blew up the Earth!

FireMoon and stephen bennett like this.
  14. stephen bennett

"You're a jerk, a complete arsehole ..."

Bowerick Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged

15. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

I have both LPs too, the first of which Adams signed for me at the album launch.

Mick

16. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

Is that game specifically designed to make you throw your iPad across the room? Or is it just me?

stephen bennett likes this.
  17. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

I got into the books when I was 16 courtesy of a friend at school. The BBC then went and repeated the TV series right in the middle of my O-level revision and exams. I still passed, by and large, but it was a distraction!

18. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

I shall investigate. Thanks

19. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

I turned round and saw my box set of cassettes of the radio series with "DON'T PANIC" in big friendly letters on a bookshelf.

I've also got it on CD boxset and the books are the most re-read in my collection. They still make me laugh.

The TV series had a brilliant BBC science fiction budget feel to it with wobbly sets and Zaphod's not quite realistic second head.

Stylistically the recent Good Omens gave a nod it its direction.

Whenever the number 42 is mentioned in conversation it always makes me smile.

stephen bennett likes this.
  20. stephen bennett

When released, you’d have had to throw a BBC B across the room.

Stephen

Rob998 likes this.