1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The genius that was Douglas Adams

Discussion in 'off topic' started by deebster, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I read the Trilogy in 4 parts in my late 20's, a great book in my opinion; pretty sure I have not read 'Dirk Gently' but will give it a go.

2. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Unfortunately Starship Titanic does not run on any version of Windows seen for a long time, I still have the CD in its box

stephen bennett likes this.
  3. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

4. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

No, it's just the world's about to end... drink up

5. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Well it is in my forum name (not just here). Huge fan of DA and his written works but also Level 42 who took their name from them.

6. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

It must be a Thursday..... never got the hang of Thursdays

Snufkin likes this.
  7. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

So many great characters in the Guide. Marvin was a work of genius on his own and despite the movie being a bit crap it was nice to see the TV him get a cameo.

Anyone got a towel? I think it's about time I had one.

8. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

I wouldn't call it an adaptation, even in quotes, I can't see what it has to do with the book, other than the name and the concept of connectedness. But we love the Netflix series in its own right.

mansr likes this.
  9. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Is deeper out of print?

10. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

11. mansr

mansr Well-Known Member

Agreed. The series is only very loosely based on the books. As a separate work, it's not bad, but tastes will vary, of course.

12. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

13. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

I believe that the first dirk gently book started life as an unused Dr Who script.

14. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

15. Ali T

Ali T pfm Member

Great books, love them all. And he was an audiophile too.

16. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

There is a book club (possibly books and authors) podcast on R4, with DA and James Naughtie available. Listened to it recently, through earphones, while flying. Kept causing those moments where you have to apologise to those around you for laughing out loud so often.

Meaning of Liff is terrific, too I'm trying to remember the word that meant "the boy at your school who carried a briefcase".

17. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

And a social media early adopter, he was username dna on the CIX bulletin board system in the 90s

Checking my CIX files, we were discussing Starship Titanic when it cost UKP35 in 1998

Ali T likes this.
  18. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

IIRC parts of the then-unfinished 'Shada' episode made it into Dirk Gently. I saw the restored episode years ago and Tom Baker mentions Oolon Colluphid's books.

19. Goldenmouse

Goldenmouse pfm Member

I remember a good article on him in Hi-Fi Choice in the late 80’s where they visited people with high end systems - Krell amp, Apogee speakers I think (might have been Martin Logans) but can’t remember what turntable he had.

20. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Amazing to think how young he was. Virtually everything he is known for was completed by the age of 40. And only a few years older than me!