1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The genius that was Douglas Adams

Discussion in 'off topic' started by deebster, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Probably the most enjoyable books I've ever read. read the "trilogy" at least twice and could be 3 times.. but not looked at it in last 15 years or so... seen TV series and film natch..

Jonathan likes this.
  2. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

And to think in his mid to late 20s he wrote the radio series episodically, in the week before it was aired.

Played guitar with The Floyd too.

Wonder if he used foo cables?

3. westsea

westsea Retirement present

Listened to the original radio 4 series in 78, thought it was quite incredible, even my wife (who is anti Science fiction) was drawn in, particularly by the humour and satire. My daughter recently moved house and gave it a new name...Milliways.. The Restaurant at the end of the Universe, we liked the 'infinite probability drive' - shades of 'Reality is Not What it Seems' by Carlo Rovelli
    A revival is currently running on radio 4 (6.30 on Tuesdays), doesn't have the same impact as the original - who remembers the shoe shops?
    +1 for the Last Chance to See, great perception, years ahead of current environmental concerns.
    Nice thread - thanks

4. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

Thanks, listening now :)

5. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

There's a couple of hours worth of DA related material on BBC Sounds.

6. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Another vote for Last Chance To See - a heartbreaking book that had a huge impact on me. Does anyone know if it's possible to hear the original radio series the book was based on?

Co-author Mark Carwardine made a follow-up TV series with Stephen Fry revisiting the same animals 20 years later - apart from the Yangtze River Dolphin which has subsequently become extinct.

stephen bennett likes this.
  7. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Did anyone see the ICA version of the live show?

In May 1979, again at the ICA, the company presented the first stage version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. One eye-popping aspect of the production was that for each set change the entire audience was wafted 1/2000th-of-an-inch above the floor aboard an industrial hovercraft. The cast cavorted on various ledges and platforms. The craft's carrying capacity meant that audiences were limited to a maximum of eighty each night. Langham was Arthur Dent, Richard Hope as Ford Prefect and narration of The Book was split between two usherettes. The problem of how to portray Zaphod Beeblebrox, the Betelgeusian blessed with three arms and two heads - not an issue in the original radio series - was assailed in typical Campbell fashion by simply (or not so simply) putting two actors inside one large costume.

I love Ken Campbell. Saw The Warp and The strange case of Charles Dexter Ward at the Everyman, Liverpool.

Stephen

foxwelljsly likes this.
  8. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

so glad my father brought the tapes back from england for me to canada when it first came out ... he won big 'points' from me for that ...

Snufkin likes this.
  9. Markyb

Markyb pfm Member

I don't know to be fair. I'd imagine a used copy should be available somewhere

Gaycha likes this.
  10. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

There are 56 new and used listed on abebooks.co.uk from 77p.

11. Stereonow

Stereonow Registered User

I sold him his system in his new home in Islington:

Magnepan Tympany speakers 6' x 6' per side
    Micro Seiki CD player
    Linn with all the bits
    Audio Research's most advanced and, therefore most expensive amplification
    All the appropriate cables.
    £56k all in.

One of the most decent celebrities I ever encountered. A melancholic gentlemen.

darrenyeats and deebster like this.