1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irishman

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Woodface, Nov 29, 2019.

1. deanf

deanf pfm Member

There are better magicians than Tommy Cooper, better comedians than Eric Morecambe, better orators than George W Bush and better actors than Robert De Niro. It doesn’t make them any less engaging.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  2. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

A very fair point. Just watched some of Taxi Driver, he's far better in that. I do think that more naturalistic actors are underrated though; people prefer a bit of scenery chewing.

3. deanf

deanf pfm Member

Agreed, it’s the thing that was mentioned upthread, the very best actors make you forget its acting and De Niro is sometimes more watchable than the film. Without undermining his performances in Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Raging Bull etc with are first class, he is still the only one with a Bananarama song written about him.

:)

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  4. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I keep wondering what happened to the Englishman and the Scotsman.

TheDecameron, Big Tabs and jtrade like this.
  5. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

...they all walked into a Scorsese-scripted bar, and the barman said:
    'Do I amuse you? Get dafvck outta here!

Yomanze likes this.
  6. I’ve just finished watching it. It was too long, I struggled to stay awake for the last 30 minutes. Pesci was excellent, Pacino and De Niro not so.

I really like a Stephen Graham but I don’t know why he gets American parts, surely there are plenty of American actors who could do them. Nice pay day for him I imagine though.

Cheers BB

7. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

I really enjoyed it.
    It was telling a ‘true’ story, so I found I could accept the length of it.

8. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

you found george w bush to be engaging?

9. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

With DeNiro you always know its acting, a performance which works better in some films than others. An example of an actor I really admire would be Jack Lemon, he can play a wide range of characters & you believe in them.

10. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Pft says Michael Caine

11. deanf

deanf pfm Member

Mmm, the US keep giving us interesting Presidents..

12. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

The Irishman is great. Learned a lot about Jimmy Hoffa, his links to the Mafia and the power of the Teamsters. The way the Kennedys tried to crack down on Hoffa was covered well. The film implied Hoffa was behind the assassination of John F, unless I got it wrong.

Some of the voice-over sections go on for too long, but the film hangs together well.

I liked De Niro and the rest of the crew, although Harvey Keitel barely checks in, apart from looking at the camera. The film is based on the book I Heard You Paint Houses. Must read it at some point.

Jack

13. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

Finished it up last night. Solid 3.5 stars. Four with better editing. I found a page with the backstory to one of the best scenes -

https://heavy.com/entertainment/2019/11/chuckie-obrien-fish/

I grew up in the era, and Hoffa became a meme. People would use the disappearance colloquially to describe someone who'd dropped from circulation, or if you wished someone would -- he pulled a Hoffa, or someone should Hoffa that MFer.
    -

TimF likes this.
  14. Isobarik

Isobarik pfm Member

I thoroughly enjoyed it. A good film in my opinion.

15. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

It appears I'm in a minority.

16. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

The face latex and wigs have been getting in the way a bit for me.

17. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Take them off then.

18. Konteebos

Konteebos Ignorant Uninformed Hard Remainer

I thought it was excellent and the stand-out performance was Joe Pesci.

19. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Haha!

20. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

I'm with you on this one. I felt the flashbacks to the earlier years were awkward. Even with all the prosthetics and makeup, trying to make a 76 year old pass for someone in their early thirties was - imo - a bit too much to swallow. Pacino getting fired up a couple of times brought a bit of a spark, and Pesci as the always calm puppetmaster was good, but overall I found it stilted , and not really worth the effort.

Actually fell asleep a couple of times in the first three hours - got to the point where they all were 'in school' and thought sod this, life's too short :)

BenS and Woodface like this.