1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irishman

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Woodface, Nov 29, 2019.

1. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Robert De Niro has been great in enough fabulous movies to get him off the hook for an infinite number of 'Meet the Parents II'. I do wish he'd do another crazy loner like Travis Bickle or Rupert Pupkin before he retires, though.

2. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

actually, i find his comedic roles are the best. i do enjoy the stereotypic mafia films, but would hesitate to call them fabulous. "taxi driver" is actually a horrible film. have you watched it recently?

3. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

It's hard to top the Simpson's mafia clips for their insight into this seedy world of organized crime.

Joe

4. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

Just watched it last night very long have to say it was a enjoyable watch.

5. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

We are not convinced this was worth seeing, old actors pretending to be 30 year olds wears thin. I certainly thought the Joker was an absolute belter and not sure this will get anywhere near it, so best to be pleased with what I have seen.

Bloss

6. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

A masterpiece. The end scenes where they’re all gone except for Shereen and his priest tries to detect any signs of a conscience.

7. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Very scathing piece in New York Post about the film. I don't think anyone will be talking about this film in 12 months time.

crimsondonkey likes this.
  8. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

I suppose it helped me to watch it in 3 installments, but relative to typical hollywood pablum (anyone remember The Martian?) it was 4 out of 5 stars, easy.

9. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Funnily enough I think it would have worked better as a series with a younger cast playing the younger roles

10. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Not bad, three great actors, although I've seen them do better, the facial rendering to make De Niro look young was pretty poor, good story if dragged out a bit.

11. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Maybe it’s only my problem, but I am too used to seeing De Niro and Pacino play the roles of Italian-Americans.

Sheeran was, obviously, of Irish descent. Hoffa’s parents were Irish and German. IMO, both roles were miscast.

Still a watchable movie, but given the rich subject matter, it could have been better.

12. TheDecameron

Would you say,

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator
    might make a good Irishman?

Weekender and Hook like this.
  13. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Yes, Brendan Gleeson would be a much better match for the original!

[​IMG]

Now, who to play Hoffa?

[​IMG]

14. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

An acting masterclass by many of the cast. You're right there's no conscience, but there is regret as Shereen realises that it has all come to nothing and he is an outcast to his family.

15. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Blimey that's taking the de-ageing process a bit far! Dr Niro and co running around in short trousers!

16. TheDecameron

Scorsese needs to get Nancy Pelosi into his next movie. I like her style.

17. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

She's a catholic, who prays for the Don, so she might qualify.

Jack

18. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Looks a bit like Christopher Walken

19. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

Well she runs a mafia already so wouldn't need much tutoring...

Not that Scorsese could afford her, mind.

20. TheDecameron

Nobody ****s with Nancy.

maxflinn likes this.