1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Discussion in 'audio' started by Tony L, Oct 14, 2019.

1. fred sonnen

fred sonnen pfm Member

Many thanks, Steven for your impressions and the classification.

2. ti33er

ti33er pfm Member

News has it the Three Daves are entertaining travel to the LakeWest residence today already ...one Dave is a DAC apparently :) ...crossing fingers they get there

3. ti33er

ti33er pfm Member

...news flash, Czech have declared UK at-risk country so the Three Daves may be sent right back where they came from upon landing soon :-(

4. ti33er

ti33er pfm Member

This listening session of the LakeWest DevDAC vs the Chord DAVE may still happen...apparently the Daves’ could fly out from Brno tomorrow eve, rumour has it

5. DimitryZ

DimitryZ pfm Member

What is the external power supply voltage of the upcoming DevDac?

I plan to get one and want to make sure I have the right LPS in my stack.

6. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

They shut the border to uk residents yesterday.

7. ti33er

ti33er pfm Member

The Daves are in session! Looking forwards to Daves discerning review; will be mentioned upon return to the U.K. he says on Facebook Group..

8. gints

gints pfm Member

It will be long session, border closed, no in, no out.
    ok, false alarm, border closed from Monday midnight.

9. ti33er

ti33er pfm Member

...well the good news, should they get siloed there in Brno, being DIY pros - they could help Captain LakeWest finish the design :)

10. DimitryZ

DimitryZ pfm Member

One more time - do folks know the voltage/amperage specifications of the external power supply for the DevDac?

11. iansr

iansr pfm Member

Out of curiosity I looked up the retail price of the Dave; £8500. So that will be interesting, albeit that there isn’t necessarily any correlation between price and SQ in the hi fi world.

12. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

Well we listened to the Dave with its companion Upscaler = making a GBP16K combination :)

ti33er likes this.
  13. JohnW

JohnW pfm member

At the moment the DevDAC operates on a bench PSU, 5V 1.7Amps - this is subject to increase with the planned larger DAC array on the final design.

I also might rearrange the PSU, say 12V input with a lower current...

DimitryZ and ti33er like this.
  14. Bob L

Bob L pfm Member

John,
    IF it can be arranged without causing delay for others, a 12V input would suit me very well indeed ( currently running my much modified Mac mini from 12V on a Paul Hynes which I know has spare capacity).

DimitryZ likes this.
  15. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

It would certainly be useful to know - a 5V 3Amp linear psu was going to be my next project.....

16. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

17. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Given the large number of excellent 5v and a bit, 3.ish amp psu's out there it would make sense. Just make it Allo Shanti compatible and avoid any psu issues. The Shanti is dirt cheap and very good.

18. DimitryZ

DimitryZ pfm Member

Thanks, please let us know the final configuration, once settled.

19. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

20. moosemeat

moosemeat pfm Member

We've all been sweating over whether anything was going to eventuate from this project... and now that there are positive signs, we're pushing our barrows over the power supply. Are there no lessons to be learned from past experiences? Might it not be better just to leave John to determine the optimal power supply... and be happy with that?

ChrisPa, banjoman, Ian M and 7 others like this.