1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Discussion in 'audio' started by Tony L, Oct 14, 2019.

1. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

I'd imagine the output stage would have the most effect on bass.

2. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

Earthing is critical to the bass, more so than the output stage topology IMHO.

3. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

I would have thought that John Westlake has the room / speaker / amplifier optimised so that he can quantify the sound of the equipment he is developing. It might not be to everyone's taste, as it's their for him to test and quantify. I do recall that John said the power supply was not optimised at this stage on the DevDac (it was running off a lab power supply during the test), so hopefully there is more to come from it and the bass performance. There has been talk of a valve output stage, but I would think that is for the FDAC now.

4. mike9876

mike9876 Well-Known Member

John W

I have been trying to join the facebook group for over a year with no success.

5. iansr

iansr pfm Member

I seem to recall that when I was trying out the multi rail Calex power supplies with the MDAC that one of the noticeable improvements it made was in the bass quality. Perhaps that indicates that the better PS in the final DevDAC (vs the bench PS) will do the trick . . .

Stuart Frazer likes this.
  6. moosemeat

moosemeat pfm Member

More from Facebook:

David Walsh[​IMG] Re: bass, I do remember Dave and I being happy with what we were hearing on that front from the MLs in our ‘jumper’ listening sessions, and John assuring us it would get even better in the next iteration.

ti33er and Stuart Frazer like this.