1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Know it all Audiophile

Discussion in 'audio' started by Ian M, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Ian M

Ian M pfm Member

It’s not “All About That Bass”

Best Regards, Meghan.

Rockmeister likes this.
  2. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

That's easy for you to say.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  3. tuga

tuga European

I just ignore them all...

4. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

You'll want this thread then. ;)

TheDecameron likes this.
  5. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I love Waldemar, I think he’d be great turning that sardonic eye to Hifi and hifi’s acolytes. “Ivor Tiefenbrun was a man who clubbed his enemies to death while waiting for the sea ice to melt, on his journey through the Baltic and for years after arriving in Glasgow. His greatest treachery was....”.

6. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Just being BIG doesnt make a room good, or suitable, especially not with styrene suspended ceilings

7. SteveH

SteveH pfm Member

It's all about the way you go about it:
    Terms such as "disdain", "laugh" and "audiophile" (the latter expressed in parenthesis) clearly imply an aggressive, dismissive tone, disregarding the opposing opinion.
    That's exactly the arrogant machismo Darko finds so offensive...and so do I.

Sure, express your honest opinion regarding audio performance - that's what we're all here for - but in a way that leaves the schoolyard behind.

8. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

SteveH - wise words indeed. As a lurker who sometimes thinks about posting, the tone of some contributions can put me right off.

9. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Oh there's so much I could say in this thread... and the other "know nothing audiophile" thread... Don't worry though folks... I'll not...:rolleyes:

Ian M likes this.
  10. Spike

Spike pfm Member

And still probably the best springer on the market. Be careful with any upgrade as it can easily exceed 12 ft lbs (can get close to 20 ft lbs) and become illegal without a FAC.

11. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

you will tho...we can see you simmering from here.

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  12. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

:p "The truth? You can't handle the truth!";)

Aussie Geoff and narabdela like this.
  13. badger748

badger748 pfm Member

Things have moved on GT, middle age is 60 now!

YNWOAN and G T Audio like this.
  14. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Distributor and Manufacturer

:D Like your style!

15. duckworp

duckworp pfm Member

I just watched the video and he is right on many points and it is refreshing to hear it spelt out. I remember coming back into the world of hifi two or three years ago and enthusiastically testing various cables and mentioning my experiences of them, and reading of others experiences. I could not believe the sanctimonious people that came telling me, and others, that we were 'hearing things' when we described the cables we liked. I still do not understand what motivates such people (and this forum has more than its fair share including one posting on this thread). Darko is right as these know-it-all audiophiles seem to be motivated to "save us from ourselves and correct our behaviour" and will not stop until "our thinking allies with their thinking". There really is no other explanation as to why the same people persistently and repeatedly undermine other forum's members discussions. "Intolerance" he says - and that is spot on with regard to threads about cables.

And he is right on the diy streamer builders: I started a thread describing my experiences with the excellent Pro-Ject Stream Box, and before you know it there are people saying it is a rip off and they could build the same thing for £10.23.

People are strange, as someone once said.

Andrew C! and Ian M like this.
  16. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

I admit I've quite warmed to Mr Darko in recent times, I think some of his perspective on stuff is quite interesting, the production values in his videos are above average and judging by the amount of advertising his site is now carrying, clearly his influence is growing in terms of number of eyeballs, quarter of a million unique visitors per month is not to be sniffed at.

In terms of reaching a new audience, he'll probably do better than the conventional forums like this one. I've talked about him to a couple of clients who are as yet a bit unsure whether his content/approach is 'their market' – which is of course the point of my flagging it in the first place.

This video was probably the one which made me think it was probably worth looking at his site more often.

https://darko.audio/2019/04/a-short-film-about-cd-playback-w-hegel-ps-audio-pro-ject/

17. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Wow, that guy is enough of a tit to put anyone off musical passion, hi-fi, and Berlin, three things which I value very highly.

Yank likes this.
  18. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

He'll be devastated. And he speaks so highly of you...

SteveH likes this.
  19. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

What exactly is it in these 10k commercial streamers that can't be had for 1/10 of that money?

20. duckworp

duckworp pfm Member

I hadn't seen that "short film about CD playback" video before - it is very good, thanks for the link.

Can't answer that but in the thread linked to below the respected John Westlake explains why his £600 streamer is 6 times the price of the Raspberry Pi it is based on:
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/wh...ve-700euro-for-an-r-pi.2175090/#post-26431682