1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

Discussion in 'off topic' started by lsinclair, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

Caught the bug late 2015. Bought a few and built a few.

Don't bother much nowadays.But in keeping with the investment theme...

42043 Mercedes Arocs x 2 Tesco Direct - £82 each sold for £199 new & £150 used

42030 Volvo Loading Shovel - Amazon Fr (euro was 1.35 ) £120 - Sold for £215 new 12 months later

42054 Claas Xerion Tractor - Tesco Direct £59.40 (£20 odd after club card vouchers used) Sold for £120 18 months later

42036 Street Motorcycle - Argos £29.99 sold for £59.99 18 months later

21303 Wall-E - Lego Direct £39.99 sold for £85 18 months later

21307 Caterham - Lego £69.99 (less £20 from selling the free snow globe and the £5 VIP points- Sold for £85

2. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

Minuscule to some maybe but every little counts.

Man. I really miss Tesco Direct. No wonder they went tits up.

3. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Not part of your green investment portfolio then.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Plastic is only bad if you throw it away! I don’t see Lego as any different from any other collectable item.

5. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

Hey. When the Nuclear Bombs finally explode and destroy everything you hold dear?

Lego bricks will be like the new currenceh.

6. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

Sorry. Writing a book at the moment with a similar theme.

7. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

I guess, can you leave yours to me in your will, then?

8. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I have stubbornly held on to my boxed sets as I haven't got the compulsion to see what they will realise just yet. I know some of the discontinued Creator Expert modular buildings will net me more that what I paid. If I wait a few more years, they can only go up in price.

The themes I'm collecting are:
    - Speed Champions (mostly individual cars - they are cheap as chips)
    - Ideas
    - Creator Expert (Winter Sets and Modular Buildings)
    - Technic (must be technically interesting)

I have a couple of Star Wars UCS sets (Slave 1 and Y-Wing), but not sure if they are appreciating or not.

9. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Slave 1 is going up in price.

James likes this.
  10. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

In the Lego-for-wine sell-off I've sold two modular sets (Detective's Office and Palace Cinema.) Coincidentally they both netted a 52% profit. Some that I had absolutely no personal interest in have done well (like 10244 Fairground, 77%) and I have great hopes for 10245 Santa's Workshop being a 150%er when I advertise it in six weeks or so. The Yellow Submarines and Caterhams have been good performers too, but I shall be keeping one of each of those, along with the Saturn V.

I've bought several second-hand sets and sold them here on pfm after I had assembled (and disassembled) them - even those made a decent profit.

11. robs

robs pfm Member

12. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

13. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

Some of the flagship sets are stupidly expensive, and would need to be held for a helluva long time to appreciate beyond its original price. Shame if anyone is expecting to make a quick buck from the UCS Millennium Falcon, for example.

14. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Looking at selling one of the first set I built - Lego Tecnics 24 hour race car 42039. Obviously it's still complete but am I best breaking it back down so the buyer can have the fun of building it again or sell it finished?

eBay completed sales seem to suggest that seller leave them built or am I misreading the adverts?

Kind Regards, Rack.

15. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

Leave it built for photographs etc....believe it or not there are many parents with no time to spare and offspring with no building skills so ready built models are sought after. That is my experience.
    I buy and sell lego sets all the time and as investment they are small beer but it's a hobby that pays for itself.
    Only yesterday I snagged a Quinjet set with the box, plans and all complete (save for one minifigure) for £8. Built it last night. The pieces were brand new. They have a new feel to them...its easy to tell. Should be worth between £40 and £50 once I have tracked down Iron Man!

16. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Surprised at them being wanted already built, I thought the building of the kits was the main appeal?

17. madmike

Not necessarily....my point is that not everyone has the nouse to build a set correctly. There is always the play value of the built item...I have a great grandson and I know.

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

What do you reckon the price difference between sealed box and built to be?

I’ve not been paying any attention to prices for a long while now, though I guess it might be getting to the point I should consider moving a few sets on if they have increased much. I was initially planning a 10 year hold time, but I haven’t really thought it through!

19. madmike

If I sell a set I will have inevitably purchased it second hand so I sell it built and with plans at the very least. Plans are easily obtainable from Bricklink and quite cheap. It is rare to get a box as well.
    If I had a new sealed box set there is no way I would open it to just to sell it built. I did buy a few new sets in Sainsburys reduced for about £15 and I sold them for £25 at Christmas. I chose Star Wars sets to ensure a sale in due course.
    A brand new unopened set will always be top dollar against an opened set.
    Look your sets up on Bricklink...that will tell you.

20. madmike

Oh, and a ten year hold time would be the way to go. I was actively buying and selling sets 20 years ago and found some pictures last night. Oh if I had now what I had then!