1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

Discussion in 'off topic' started by lsinclair, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

With that in mind, what if I unbuild (Is that eve a word?) it and just chuck it up the loft. I'm really only looking to make some space for another set. If prices increase over time, then I've lost nothing since I had the fun of building it in the first place.

I've only got 2 sets left to build (the big Porsche 911 GT3 RS 42056 and even bigger Mercedes Arocs 42043) but having just seen Amazon's prices for these now, I might just leave them sealed and shift them in 10 years instead!

2. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

I usually have to remove some protruberances for storage purposes. But if you plan to sell one day best to save time now and keep it built. I have a plentiful supply of A4 paper boxes at work. They can be cut down to the right height and have a nice firm lid.
    I use them as parts trays to slide into the bigger boxes as well.

3. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

I'd probably just sell it as a kit to be built by the next owner. Can only see a collector being interested in it by that time. I was sad enough to even keep the original plastic bags all the pieces came in. :)

4. madmike

I throw those away. The other thing is that the buyer can see the set is complete if its built.

5. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

True that.

6. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

Couldn't resist the Batmobile last year. Lovely thing to build but it was crazy big. So I sold it on.

Got £179 for it without the mini figures. Sold the mini figures for £75 , the freebie mini batmobile for £79 and the free Xmas tree for £30.

Not a bad return.

7. bernardhepworth

bernardhepworth pfm Member

Hi

Like most people my mind has started to wander as I work from home and I am looking for an alternative investment strategy that is also interesting and I remembered this thread. I've seen that Lego are selling a international space station set and I wonder if fishes you know a lot more about this than me would consider this as a set that could increase in value.

All thoughts welcome

8. madmike

If you keep the boxes clean and unopened they will increase in value over time as long as the theme represented still has relevance in the future. There's a theme now called hidden side which is naff, and still will be in 10 years.

9. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

My Beatles Lego Submarine is on standby for opening and building. I wasn't keeping it boxed for investment purposes, I just wasn't sure where I'd put it once assembled. But if things keep going the way they have been I might just build it anyway.

10. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

I’ve sold around three-quarters of the stuff I had - I made about 55% profit in three years with everything (vouchers, freebies, reductions, selling fees, postage) taken into account. I’ve kept a Yellow Submarine, a Caterham 7 and an Apollo rocket for possible construction one day. Of the sets still to sell I’m going to hold on to my two Wall-E’s for a while as they are still going up in value (one sold on eBay for £150 last week.) Lego Marchbanks is safe too, of course. No one else would want him.

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Quite fancy the ISS, may buy that. I’ve not sold anything yet. I’ve got two Wall-Es which should compensate for some other stuff not doing as well. I’d like to thin it out at some point as it takes up a lot of space, e.g. I’d be happy to dump all the Star Wars, of which I have too much, and just keep the ‘Ideas’ range and NASA stuff as a long term investment.

12. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Does it have a Sandra Bullock minifigure? Just passing on a query from Lego Marchbanks.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 10:49 PM
    BTC3 likes this.
  13. bernardhepworth

bernardhepworth pfm Member

Hi I'm going to get the ISS and the lunar space station as a start and then slowly build the number of sets up. It seems like a better place than getting virtually nothing from a deposit account and a slight safer alternative than the stock market.