1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Phonocut

Discussion in 'audio' started by Ali T, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Ali T

Ali T pfm Member

2. matteo.renesto

matteo.renesto Only '80's

How does it work?

3. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

If his disk-o-mat is anything to go by I'll not hold my breath.

narabdela likes this.
  4. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Interesting, but the website blurb intimates the machine is already produced whilst the photo says 'our vision of...' and the FAQ link leads nowhere.

This another MDAC 2?

5. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

Brilliant. You could record all your downloads & CDs to vinyl.
    Cure all that "perfect digital sound forever" forever.

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  6. simon g

simon g Grumpy Old Man

Nothing new. In my far off youth there were booths that would record you on to a 45 instantly.

7. Werner

Werner pfm Member

8. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

9. George J

George J Herefordshire member

If a cutting head can make a lateral transit of then record while cutting the groove, why don't tonearms do the same by now while tracking the groove?

A lot would be solved with lateral tracking tonearms.

Best wishes from George

10. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

The cutter cuts as it goes, defining the rate of inward spiral, usually varying this with loudness.

The replay arm has to follow the variations in the radius and change in radial rate *without* applying more than a tiny force to the groove. If it applies more than a tiny amount, it will 'cut a new groove' rather than follow the one already on the disc.

Thus 'linear tracking' systems for replay have to operate with a *very* delicate sensitivity to following the existing groove. Whereas the cutter simply ploughs where it decides over a blank start surface.

Linear tracking has been done for replay. But it isn't easy (read cheap and unfussy).

11. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer