1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Police

Discussion in 'music' started by flatpopely, Mar 20, 2010.

1. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

Funny thing about the Police is, they started out of Mike Howlet's first serious post Gong venture. The tracks are on Youtube, there's the nascent form of a dozen or so of their songs buried in the various tracks they did with Mike, String is on vocals not bass and vocals. My first memory of them is at the Marquee and unless I'm having a "Mandela Moment", they were originally a four piece, with possibly, Gene October on second guitar. I have to use the "Rowley Birkin clause" for this one, as I was genuinely off my tits at the time.

stephen bennett and Big Tabs like this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

and stu copeland was in curved air - a prog group you may recall

3. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

all are fantastic musicians and their playing tight as a nun's something-or-other

Andrew C! likes this.
  4. chartz

chartz pfm Member

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I had a quick listen to my small collection last night, only a track or two from each. Rather disappointed by how bad they sound, very compressed and thin to my ears, nowhere near the quality of some other new-wave albums (Patti Smith, Joy Division, Gang Of Four, Slits, Television, Talking Heads etc). They seem mastered to make giant Tannoys sound like a small transistor radio, though the later-period Synchronicity is better in this regard. I’m pretty sure the first one is my favourite, it has a raw edge and excitement to it.

gavreid likes this.
  6. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Funny Tony, I’ve got the first two records (French original pressings) and they still sound very good.

Big Tabs likes this.
  7. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

You could take away any instrumental element but this one and still have the police.

8. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Every time I hear "When the world is running down" I do wonder WTF has happened to drum/bass recording techniques. Same goes for "Don't Stand So Close To Me"

It's masterfull. Copeland wasn't actually a great timekeeper but he was a great drummer.

Also, I noticed the Andy Summers doco is on Amazon Prime to Stream. ...Surviving the Police.

Read his book One Train Later if you get a chance. Summers was in the thick of it in London during the Clapton, Hendrix, Page era but is rarely mentioned. Andy sold his '59 Les Paul to Clapton when his got nicked. There were literally only a few 59's floating about London at the time.

9. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Very good musicians and also very good singers.... I didn't appreciate the extent of the latter until I was briefly a member of a band (sax player) who covered a few Police tracks and did all the very high harmonies as per the originals... very difficult!

Big Tabs likes this.
  10. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Try playing some of his chords, the Message In A Bottle intro is just one example. After five years with my average-sized fingers I gave up.

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  11. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

I first saw The Police back in December 78, they were supporting Alberto y Lost Trios Paranoias. It was the Lufbra University Christmas ball, there were about 30 people there in a 1500 capacity hall.

The next time I saw them, they were headlining the Reading Festival in August 79 in front of 30,000.

I've got a couple of their early albums, which I haven't played for years (probably since before this thread originally started) and a 'Best of' compilation on CD which is all I need really as that has the singles, some of which I quite like.

12. krenzler

krenzler pfm Member

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/dr/desc?artist=the+police

The original Zenyatta on vinyl sounds amazing.

Andrew C! and Big Tabs like this.
  13. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

My late father worked for A&M records in A&R and sales promotion up until 1981. The Police were one of his acts.

Met them at a secret warm up gig at a club called routes in Exeter when I was a teen. It was previewing Reggata LP.

The arpeggio in Message is a fine piece of playing.

As it this imho very underrated track.

14. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Genius percussionist

15. chartz

chartz pfm Member

I love this song too. I played it a lot in the 80's.

16. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

I like all 5 LPs. Like any other record, if you are a fan then you’ll forgive the band their foibles and experiments.

The drumming on these LPs is amongst my favourite evah.

Big Tabs and gavreid like this.
  17. clifftaylor

clifftaylor Probably retired!

Copeland is a fine drummer, Summers is a fine guitarist. Sting is an OK bass player, but was absolutely the front man they needed.

Big Tabs, Weekender and Andrew C! like this.
  18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Anyone who can play bass and sing at the same time is doing better than OK IMHO!

Weekender and Andrew C! like this.
  19. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

And he’s written some pretty good tunes...

Weekender likes this.
  20. clifftaylor

clifftaylor Probably retired!

I could do it, although not all that well - I was always in awe of the stuff Chris Squire could sing and play at the same time.