1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The rise of the far-right

Discussion in 'off topic' started by stephen bennett, Sep 10, 2018.

1. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Even in Sweden.

How do PFM-ers feel about this? Bannon on a pilgrimage to sow the seeds of unrest in Europe. Nazis on the streets in Germany, Hungary, Italy and and Poland spouting the rhetoric of the third reich.

And before people say ' see? we're better out of the EU', think on. In the UK (and US), where separate far right parties would have no chance of winning power because of our electoral system, they have, instead, infiltrated and influenced the Conservatives (and GOP) who now behave as the political-wing of the UKIP and Britain first.

We have a 'Trump-lite' waiting in the wings, trained in facist rhetoric from Bannon, ready to move the Tories into the same political arena as France's Front National.

I believe that the only thing keeping us from a fully-fledged return to fascism in Europe is the EU—and many in the UK are happily hoping for its destruction as a stable political force.

Should I be nervous about this? What does everyone feel is the end game?

Stephen

Brian S, kendo and TheDecameron like this.
  2. spengenuk

spengenuk pfm Member

I wouldn’t say it would be a long term thing. The result in Sweden is more than likely a protest against immigration. The core of far right parties is likely to be far smaller. UKIP is an example where they were a concern a few years ago but have almost disappeared now.

3. stephen bennett

But is that not because the Conservatives have subsumed UKIPs raison d'être? And specifically, Johnson is now attempting to out Farage, Farage. UKIP as a party (as all small parties) cannot make any headway in the UK. I think we'll see the Conservative party membership swell with ex-UKIP and BF supporters, especially if Johnson becomes leader.

Stephen

4. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Agree with you. Johnson has been schooled by Trump and Bannon. He is moving in for May's job and to force a hard Brexit. If he gets it, with the help of journalists on The Times, there will eventually be fighting on the streets. He's the ultimate British shyster, who hides his fascist tendencies behind buffoonery.

Jack

wylton likes this.
  5. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

My predictions are always wrong, but I really don't see Johnson becoming leader. He's made too many enemies, and is too obviously on the make. Plus, in the UK at least, the politicians who topple the leader rarely become leader themselves. Ousted PMs are usually replaced by someone obscure who hasn't (yet) made enemies.

6. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

My predictions are also normally 'pants' as well but we are going through some large shifts in perception and trust at the moment. Its really hard to second guess what might happen in any country where the leadership seem so divorced from the reality of their populations lives.

My limited understanding of the situation in Sweden is garnered from a Swedish friend and various media articles. According to both sources it is the second generation immigrants who are causing many of the problems in Swedish cities, some from former Yugoslavian countries. This crisis has been brewing for a long time in Scandi land and our ongoing global stagflation has exacerbated things.

7. stephen bennett

Like this guy making his move? Tom Tugendhat is a front runner I gather? But could we ever have a PM with a name no-one can pronounce?

Stephen

8. stephen bennett

This seems right from my time living in rural Sweden. Swedes are generally lovely people who took in, for example, Iraqi refugees that no-one else would. Unfortunately, they often plonked these on communities that have rarely experienced immigration. Or they brought over Yugoslavian refugees from both sides who then carried on fighting in Sweden.

Stephen

9. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

That's my assessment too.

Big caveat: if Tory MPs become convinced that Boris Johnson can lead them to victory at the next GE, they'll be all over him.

TheDecameron likes this.
  10. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

In this evenings performance of I Claudius, the part of Claudius was played by Dominic Raab.

Still likes this.
  11. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

The immigrants were herded into poor housing areas without much thought for integration or economic opportunities. The impression I have is that like the Swedes are pretty insular when push comes to shove and will close ranks to protect themselves (as they see it) from immigrant criminal actions, in this case voting Far Right. There has been a rise in violence and crimes against women which the Swedes don't like one little bit. The world is changing for the worse as nationalism is becoming more prevalent nearly everywhere we look.

12. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

The Tories are becoming more and more like the US Republican party by the day. It is just a few years behind.

Unfortunately, I see Britain needing to go through it's Trump moment before things will start looking up.

TheDecameron likes this.
  13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

What's driving the rise n populism? Is it by any chance the internet? The echo-chamber nature of things, as opposed to a generally right-wing but generally pacifying press?

14. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

This is the answer preferred by political journalists, and many centrist politicians too, for obvious reasons.

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I have to admit I’d never have guessed in a million years that 18% of Sweedish voters were pigshit-thick fascist assholes. Always struck me as a most decent, enlightened and dignified place, though I’ve never actually been there.

16. Mick P

Mick P Retired and content

Anyone who calls 18% of Swedish voters without even spending 10 minutes in their country, a lot of pigshit-thick fascist assholes needs to moderate his language.

Better that you refrain from such language until you spend some time out there and fully understand why they have voted this way.

Calling people fascist really is uncalled for.

ian r, Zeusum, ThELiZ and 1 other person like this.
  17. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Did you go on a package holiday?

18. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Exactly. Why pick on the Swedes when we have an abundance of "pigshit facist assholes" in the ranks of our very own Conservative Party?

When we've finished giving the Tory fascists a dressing down we can turn our attention to the Neanderthal, knuckle-dragging Momentum lot on the other side.

19. George J

George J Herefordshire member

I am half Scandinavian, though not half Swedish.

I find your initial comment, to which Mick P replied, extremely offensive. Perhaps the pinko element of this Forum with all its self-satisfied and seemingly smugly superior lefty political correctness is really the New Nazismus.

Simply too bad from a moderator. You can ban me if you like.

ian r and timola like this.
  20. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Only half Scandinavian?

I'm fully Neanderthal apparently ;-)