1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The rise of the far-right

Discussion in 'off topic' started by stephen bennett, Sep 10, 2018.

1. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

The guy 5th from left in black seems to be using the hand gesture favoured by the various alt right groups

[​IMG]

The one above is overt, but I believe it has become trendy to sneak it in to newsreels and videos. I believe a US Coast guard was sacked for doing it on a TV report.

Here's another example. The woman in the background is Zana Bash. The guy in front is an extreme moderate who'd have nothing whatsoever to do with alt right politics.

[​IMG]

2. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

...or use telepathy...

[​IMG]

3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

4. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Well it could just be a simple ‘ok’ sign, but AIUI that’s the point. The alt right has adopted it as a White Power hate sign at the same as saying, ‘hey, it is nothing more that an innocent hand gesture, what’s the problem?’

https://medium.com/s/story/does-the-ok-sign-actually-signify-white-power-or-what-6cf3309df985

Regardless of it’s origins, and Trump may himself use it quite innocently, it does appear to have become a hate meme

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...ture-gets-kicked-off-hurricane-response-team/

5. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

6. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The sly centrists

7. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

New party?

8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

9. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Right, exactly the same kind of thing.

Does actually offer an insight into how these people sell it to themselves, though: "What's that, you're concerned about our alliance with actual fascists? No, it's fine, everyone does it, it's just triangulation!"

10. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

12. Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor pfm Member

Quite, ours are the sort that prop up far right idiots intent on bankrupting the country to give money to their cronies, while demonising the sick and foreigners.

13. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

Harsh but fair...:)

14. TheDecameron

It’s kicking off now. Mr.Dacre gave the whistle and the dogs came-
    “That’s what treasonous people get”.

[​IMG]

Just checked the BBC News App and guess what they have?- the Paris riots.

15. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

In fairness Dec, the Paris riots are a bit more of a display of unrest than some d**k from Stevenage who wants to show off what he made in his shed.

16. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Um, travel agent votes to restrict freedom of movement. Not really surprised his business failed.

17. TheDecameron

very brexit

18. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Indeed. I'm thinking of trying out pronouncing brexit as 'breaks it', see what response I get.

Yank, Nick_G, ff1d1l and 1 other person like this.
  19. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Turnout for the Brexit "betrayal" demo looks pretty shit.

20. TheDecameron

Yup, numbers look miserable. All that far right American money and only a few thousand turn out to hear a couple of racists and internet trolls get racisty.