1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The rise of the far-right

Discussion in 'off topic' started by stephen bennett, Sep 10, 2018.

1. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

He's not exactly subtle. Owen Jones slated him a few months ago for his unhealthy interest in the far-right Századvég Foundation (apologies for Canary link):

https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2...-neil-laying-bare-his-far-right-associations/

This is against the background of Neil's previous support for right-wing causes:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/11/bbc-andrew-neil-media-politics

As far as I can tell The Spectator wallows in the same far-right sewer these days.

2. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Point taken.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I knew nothing about this feud, but a little googling threw up this Guardian article by Jones (I’ve not gone to the extent of reading Neil’s Twitter feed for balance). Interesting stuff and it looks like Jones has done his research. In fairness to the BBC and Neil they did give Jones a good lengthy platform last night, one he clearly won on IMHO. He managed to corner Neil in a way I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else do, and yes he was eventually shut down, but that in itself was telling and by that time he had made his points well. The real loser of the piece was Portillo, who came across as an arrogant arse.

Edit: I’d not noticed Drood had already posted the link I use above, I can’t have read this page before posting!

4. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Interesting articles. I've never trusted Andrew Neil. The research done by Owen Jones shows why he shouldn't be. This dates back to 1992 when The Sunday Times hired Holocaust-denying Nazi apologist David Irving to translate Goebbels diaries. Andrew Neil was the editor of the newspaper and defended the move when criticized.

I had no idea Neil is chairman of Press Holdings, which owns the Spectator magazine, a right wing publication. As Owen Jones points out "Andrew Neil and his Spectator magazine have a demonstrable proven history of legitimising the far right."

The amount of power Neil wields, via BBC programmes we pay for, is appalling. He is treated like some kind of final arbiter. Often when he is on the television, the formula seems to be a right wing journalist and his political mates having a laugh at our expense. Neil should be shown the door.

Jack

PsB, Nick_G and droodzilla like this.
  5. Darmok

Darmok "A Priori Teleology."

Don't forget, neils nickname is "Brillo !"

jackbarron likes this.
  6. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

7. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I’m interested in the intersection of right wing political beliefs and conspiracy theories. On it’s own the latter is a hallmark of paranoid personality but I’m curious as to why both go hand in hand.

8. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Authoritarian types need persecution fantasies to justify all the hate.

Not just a personality thing though, I'd have thought. Conspiracy theories and far right politics are both ways of raging against the elites in a way that is (mostly) fairly untroubling to the elites. So the media is pretty happy to amplify both, especially in times of crisis, or left wing threat.

9. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

I don't think the political elite in the US is untroubled by Trump, or the French establishment is relaxed about the yellow vests, then there is the far right government in Italy who want to take on the EU. And don't forget the Left have their presecution fantasties as well.

10. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Darmok likes this.
  11. TheDecameron

I’m reminded of the observation that nearly everyone in prison interviewed will claim they are innocent of the offence(s) they were imprisoned for. Colour me skeptical but when you see violent, racist petty criminals coming out to protest about injustices....
    Their list reads better than realty-
    What we stand for-
    Racist and we like it
    Violent offending
    Getting sacked repeatedly
    Millwall
    Keep it in the family
    Jeremy Kyle Show tickets
    Threatening teachers
    Struck off the GP’s list
    We don’t like *****s
    Nicking charity tins

[​IMG]
    Put a violent offender in a hi vis jacket and he’s still a...

SteveT likes this.
  12. Still

Still beware of the duck

13. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Les crétins jaune.

TheDecameron likes this.
  14. TheDecameron

15. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

[​IMG]

Yank and Still like this.
  16. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

The guy is basically a terrorist and should be treated as such. Imagine if this had been someone called Mohammed with olive-coloured skin. He'd be arrested faster than you could say 'Tommy Robinson'. But that's the Islamophobic Story Party for you. Instead the media gives Yaxley-Racist a platform to spew his hate-filled bile.

It's insane.

kendo likes this.
  17. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

To tie in with the 'access to justice' thread:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47029302

"Speedboat killer: Jack Shepherd's lawyer receives Nazi death threat"

[​IMG]

So even if you can get legal aid, your solicitor is going to run scared.

18. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

What's got the Nazis worked-up over this? Was the girl from a Nazi family? Is Shepherd Jewish or something?

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I see “Tommy” Yaxley-Racist has finally been banned from Facebook/Instagram (BBC). I’m beyond astounded it took so long. No way I’d put up with shit like that using a platform I owned/managed!

TheDecameron, Joe P, Still and 5 others like this.
  20. Still

Still beware of the duck

Hit Tommeh in his grifter for maximum effect.