1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The runners' thread... (part II)

Discussion in 'off topic' started by PigletsDad, Aug 16, 2018.

1. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Signed up for Auckland. Let the serious training commence!!!

robs and windhoek like this.
  2. robs

robs pfm Member

You've just been warming up so far then...? ;)

Just looked at the map - looks like a lovely course. And dead flat along the seashore for the last half.

JTC likes this.
  3. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I completed the Olympic/standard distance tri today but boy was it hard - I think the course was a little tougher than average. The 0.9 mile swim was a single lap of a lake and went really well - just over 30 minutes - I'm not the greatest swimmer. This was followed by 29 rolling miles on the bike which were uncomfortable - the road bike would have been nicer, but the tri bike is definitely quicker (19mph average), and finally 10k off road on sandy trails, through cranberry bog. By this point it was quite warm (22/23C) and the sand made for hard going - the 10k took me 53 minutes. I had hoped to finish in under 3 hours, and came in at 2:59:07, almost exactly mid pack within my age group and for the men in general.
    If I'm honest I think it was less enjoyable than the sprint tris where you can pretty much put your head down and blast each leg. I'll probably do another at some point, but the idea of a half-iron has lost a lot of its appeal.

Anyway, very pleased to have finished it - another race to add to the PFM collection.

Weekender, robs, windhoek and 2 others like this.
  4. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Great work. I’ve vaguely considered doing a tri because I used to be really good at swimming and can run and ride a bike. You’re not selling it though!

Very pleased today as I knocked 34 seconds off my Parkrun pb. Now at 26.29. I was aiming for 28 this year. I’m now wondering if I can make 25 by Christmas

robs, Weekender and windhoek like this.
  5. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I don't mean to put anyone off - triathlon is a great sport IMO because it forces you to train 3 disciplines reducing overuse injuries, and resulting in a more balanced workout. However I'd recommend starting with a sprint distance - usually .25-0.5 miles of swimming, 10-15miles bike and a 5k The only downside to the sprint events is that the time in transition is even more critical.

Good news on the parkrun PB - you're way under your target. 25 by Christmas sounds quite doable.

6. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Well done guys - epic effort and epic results!

7. PigletsDad

PigletsDad pfm Member

I did triathlon in the 90s for a while. I found it very time consuming - to get a middle of the field result, I was training twice or three times a day, week in and week out. There were a couple of brushes with over-training syndrome. I did one middle distance race (Ironbridge), and mostly sprint and some classic distance races. I think somebody with more talent could do more with less effort.

Yeserday, I ran back from town along the hills, on a slightly longer route, to avoid some long wet grass. Overall, nearly a minute a mile faster, but I was very cautious the first time.

Today, I ran round my 10K training loop, in 48:16, which is getting back towards normal - a few weeks ago I did 52mins, and 54mins a few weeks before that. Last year I was doing 46 something fairly consistently, so there is still a little way to go.

Weekender, lordsummit and windhoek like this.
  8. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Strathearn marathon yesterday: tough day out but (largely) kept it together. 4h 05m with ~500m of elevation- an improvement of 13m on 2018.

Today I have very sore toes and achy legs!!! Will have a couple of days off before my next races (this Friday and Sunday)...

sean99, robs, Weekender and 1 other person like this.
  9. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

@ Piglets Dad:
    There's no substitute for talent they say. When I was training there was a bloke who would just miss the whole of winter because he didn't like it. He'd rejoin in April and slip straight into the top group.

10. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Last night was the first run of week 4 of the couch to 5K and there was what seemed like a big jump to 2 x 3mins and 2 x 5mins. Got through it at light jog pace with the last rep. almost imperceptible from walking speed. :DOnwards!

robs, windhoek and lordsummit like this.
  11. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Have to say the jump from 9 to 16mins total "running" from week 3 to 4 has been challenging. Next week looks like another step change with 20mins of "running" on run 3. Think I'll do that one on grass.

lordsummit likes this.
  12. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Starting up running again is really hard. When I started triathlon, just under 10 years ago, I hadn't done any running since University cross country, 20 years prior. I figured the cycling would have kept me fit, but running was painful and unpleasant for at least 6 months. It's funny how exercise specific our bodies' fitness can be. I've heard runners complain that when they started triathlon the swimming was similarly painful and unpleasant for them.

However you can take heart from the old saying "Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving your body" ;)

windhoek and Weekender like this.
  13. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Yes I do a fair bit of cycling and it seems of no use whatsoever. It's the load bearing I'm told...and some of us have a lot of load bearing to do...I hopefully will start to lose weight gradually soon which will help.
    All in all I am enjoying it and motivated and have experienced the pain of training before so feeling positive.

14. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

I hurt all the time. I put it down to old age...

15. robs

robs pfm Member

Yup.

I've actually run a bit more than usual this week - 3 x 10km. And my legs are aching.

But I have really enjoyed it. Need to try to keep it up...I think I'm a fair weather runner.

Weekender and lordsummit like this.
  16. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

I did my long run in the rain last week. I got runners nipple. Never had such a painful shower after :)

17. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Did a local race tonight: Black Rock 5. Racing less than a week after a marathon is tough! Enjoyed it though

robs, Weekender and lordsummit like this.
  18. PigletsDad

PigletsDad pfm Member

Slowly winding the distances back up, did my first 10 miler since my injury (over the hills too), About 1300 feet of height gain, more descent. Kind of slow, 95 minutes, but ran through several rain showers and struggled in and out of my rain top a few times. My legs were tiring over the last couple of miles, despite the soft pace. Brings up 25 miles for the week. So an autumn half is possible, and maybe something a bit more.

Weekender likes this.
  19. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Did a 10K road race today. Knee went a bit weird at around 5K so had to walk for what seemed like forever but could only have been a minute tops. Took it everso slightly easier after that to bring it home in position 148/490 in 48:40; not a PB but as my third race in 7 days, I’ll take it!

Weekender likes this.
  20. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

I recorded Friday’s race, in case anyone wants a ‘Runner’s view’ of this famous race. Sadly, my cam mount is just left of centre chest, so as the race goes on my left hand pops into shot - a lot!!!

windhoek and lordsummit like this.