1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The runners' thread...

Discussion in 'off topic' started by windhoek, Jul 7, 2017.

1. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

And to think some people pay handsomely for the privilege of experiencing what you describe as 'physio' - one man's pain and all that lol

2. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

The red tape up the back of my leg makes me feel like an athlete though!

windhoek likes this.
  3. egodissolve

egodissolve ....you're telling me Unicorns aren't real!

Good luck Sunday Gareth.

cutting42 likes this.
  4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

They may do. However if your "physio" is in black leather and calls you a naughty boy before she starts with the "treatment"...she's not a physio. check the room for Conservative MPs, then make your excuses and leave.

egodissolve, windhoek and lordsummit like this.
  5. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Looks like it's going to be a hot one on Sunday. Any advice on hydration and head protection as I am a sleek aero headed athlete (lol) and want to avoid sunburn/heatstroke.

[​IMG]

6. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

The advice I followed for the marathon was to begin proper hydration a few days out so that by race day, my body had built up its own reservoir of fluids as it were rather than having to drink lots on the day and be peeing lots as a consequence. I also started taking these electrolyte tablets to help on that front as well (1 tablet on Friday night, 1 tablet on Saturday morning, 1 tablet on Saturday night, 1 tablet on Sunday morning followed by 1 tablet after the race). In a nutshell, start drinking and peeing now so you can ease off on Sunday morning till during/after the race.

Good luck, although I doubt you'll need it as your aero package will no doubt be the envy of many a runner... not to mention McLaren, Williams, Sauber... :)

cutting42 likes this.
  7. robs

robs pfm Member

^^

Wot he said. Get plenty of fluids in you today and tomorrow. Pee for England.

If it's going to be really sunny, I sometimes wear a lightweight baseball cap. Sunscreen will probably just run off (oops) in no time!

Good photo by the way! Looks like you're suffering just enough...but not too much ;)

Hope it goes really well!

cutting42 likes this.
  8. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

Sadly I won't be doing a solidarity run tomorrow as I had a wee bump with an SUV when I was on my bike today and my bahookie is really effin sore... a real pain in the ass, you might say! I also got a wee bump on the head which was totally avoidable if only I'd wore my helmet, but because it's been so hot over the last few weeks, I've been leaving my helmet at home as my head's been melting when I've been wearing it. But don't worry, the helmet will be getting wore all the time henceforth. Anyway, thanks to my sore butt, I can hardly sit down without a wee groan so a solidarity run tomorrow is a no-no for me I'm afraid.

Fwiw, the collision occurred at a roundabout and it's eachy-peachy as to who might be to blame: from my perspective there was a gap and then suddenly there wasn't (the police happened to be driving past a few minutes later and took a brief statement from each of us although I think they're happy to call it an accident just as I am myself). As for the driver, she was almost in tears through fright so I hope she's okay as well.

9. cutting42

Very sorry to hear of your accident. That’s two hit by cars now. I hope this is not a trend.

10. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

Amen to that!

Good luck tomorrow Gareth - may you run quicker than the beads of sweat on your brow, faster than your shadow, and quicker still than Kronos can count the passage of time... Oh, and go go go! :D

cutting42 likes this.
  11. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Good luck Gareth, hope it’s a good one.

12. johnhunt

johnhunt pfm Member

blimey another car. glad you are ok.

Foot update...

Still swollen but appears to be very slowly on the mend. I’ve an appt and x Ray at the hospital next week so should know more then. But I think it’s going to be months before I can run on it. Exercise wise I can now sit on a rower , chuck a kb around , push ups , climber, core ...so I’m in the gym most days. Foot seems to like the blood being pumped through it .

Police have now made contact with the witness who thought the driver did it deliberately . See what happens next.
    On one hand I’d like to see the c*nt locked up , on the other a serious charge would delay matters and also invalidate his insurance and reduce my compensation . Also been feeling a bit miserable recently .

Stay safe

John

13. windhoek

windhoek pfm Member

Great to hear you're on the mend John - next time I go running or cycling, I'm wearing bubble wrap lol

I'm about to drop off grid till tomorrow so I hope everything well well for you Gareth, see you all tomorrow :)

14. cutting42

British 10k done and dusted. A very warm day indeed but I started pretty well and ran the first 5k in just over 29 mins, my heat was under control and hydration was excellent from the last couple of days drinking gallons. I was running with my friend Ian who is a faster 5k runner than me (he is normally around 25 min me mid 28's) and I was fine with the pace until somewhere around 5 to 6 k when I felt my body getting stressed and temps going up. It was a bit more open with direct sun beating down on us during those k's so I started to fall back from Ian to try and control my heat mainly, legs were fine but whenever I tried picking the pace up again I could not sustain it and my head would get hotter.

So I realised this was not going to be a strong time for me and stuck to a comfortable pace to enjoy the bands/music and running through the streets of London. Ended up finishing in 01:05:50 and Ian did a 01:04:25 so I was closer to him than in a 5k.... go figure!

Great day out, way too hot really but pleased I was able to manage the heat and pace to not get into trouble. Pics soon I hope.

15. robs

robs pfm Member

Brilliant! Well done and a great time in this heat!

Went out early for solidarity run but it was hard work even at 7am.
    Went out for a walk later in the morning around 10am with my wife and was dripping!
    In central London it must have been quite unpleasant...but sounds like you enjoyed it all the same - great stuff!

windhoek likes this.
  16. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Great work, it’s bloody hard running in the heat, I bet you’d have done it in less than an hour if it had been cooler

17. egodissolve

Apologies for my absence of late guys.
    Well done to you lordsummit for last week and to you Gareth for an awesome London 10k, both in difficult hot conditions. Hats off to you both, totally epic running guys.

18. egodissolve

Ohh yes and sorry to hear about your accident Derek. Hope your up and running again soon.

windhoek likes this.
  19. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

When it's hot I take two water bottles on the bike - one with a hydration mix and the other with just water to pour through the vents of my helmet. If it's really hot you need a third bottle that's been frozen overnight. Or money to buy more drinks along the way.

Sorry to read about your accident, but it's good that you came off relatively unscathed.

windhoek likes this.
  20. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Geez, I missed that. Hope you’re on the mend, Derek.

windhoek likes this.