1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Specials

Discussion in 'music' started by gavreid, Feb 8, 2019.

1. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Anyone else listening to the new album? It's outstanding, Terry Hall has finally (re)found a new sound. There's a bonus disc of live material too. In the true spirit of the past they've teamed up with the woman who stood up to the nazis, who has written and sings a modern retort to Prince Buster, apparently she made her ever first live appearance the other day.

[​IMG]
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47147069

Makes you think what might have been without the Fun Boy Three ;) I did like the more 60s sound of the Colour Field though - saw them in the Hacienda in 85.

flapland, tiggers and Wolfmancatsup like this.
  2. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

It’s damn good but imagine what it would’ve been like with Jerry.

gavreid likes this.
  3. I was a bit disappointed with it myself. The Saffiyah Khan track is my least favourite on the album. Listening to a recent interview with Terry I don't think there's any chance of him and Jerry ever working together again.

Cheers BB

4. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Blimey, the SK track is one of my favourites!

5. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I've had it on repeat all morning. The album really works together with the live material, I thought the production of the second disc might be a bit iffy but it's not bad at all.

6. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

I was at that gig too, they were great.

Will have to check out the new Specials album, thanks for the heads up.

gavreid likes this.
  7. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

It's not got the raw energy of the early stuff that's true, it's a lot more reflective, but with the same overall message. It's a shame about Jerry, he was the main driving force in Coventry (as far as I know, I was a young teenager) and a rare talent.

8. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Ah I remember buying "Too much too young" on 7" vinyl... Nostalgia... it's not what it used to be yer know...

9. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

saw them live in Leicester a couple of years ago at de montford hall.

Fantastic gig, proper loud, folks were going nuts.

The Specials was my first album

gavreid likes this.
  10. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

11. MotelBlues

MotelBlues pfm Member

Saw them in Glasgow in 2016 (I think) and it shocked me how a set consisting of material that was at least 35 years old could sound so utterly contemporary.

12. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

“strong musically, with an unexpectedly broader palette that takes in disco, funk and oompah as well as reggae.”
    Oompah. Interesting.
    Heard the single, if such a thing exists, on 6music a couple of weeks ago and it sounded very decent.

13. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

That'll be cos we're living in real gangster times.

MotelBlues and nobeone like this.
  14. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

Has anyone actually seen a vinyl copy? Even Piccadilly Records did not have it early this week and could only say they might get some "soon".

15. MotelBlues

MotelBlues pfm Member

The Universal Music Store (presumably pretty close to the source) claims it will be back in stock mid-February.