1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steve Davis Band (Utopia Strong)

Discussion in 'music' started by molee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. molee

molee pfm Member

2. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

I was aware he is a massive prog fan and that he's a very well regarded DJ, too. I remember hearing a story about him setting up a company for the sole purpose of bringing his favourite French band to come over to play a gig in London. Top bloke if true.

3. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

The band Magma. SD is an obsessive Christian Vander fan (Magma’s virtuoso drummer and leader).

4. molee

molee pfm Member

Top bloke indeed. Djed at Liverpool Psych Fest a few years ago and was in the crowd at the Rocket Recordings all=dayer last year. His DJ set with Kavus in Oxford was a stunner (though it has to be said that it appeared to be Kavus doing the legwork). He, apparently, does a bit of sports commentary on the BBC too.

5. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

When played a show on BBC6 music a few years back now. I emailed the show, and he read it out.

"Steve i think you are a top man, but my god your taste in music is appalling" laughing as he read out.

Bloss

Weekender and deebster like this.
  6. GaryT

GaryT pfm Member

Thanks for the heads up. I bought the previous album, and was very impressed, so I've jumped on this ltd edition.

7. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Interesting

flapland, vince rocker and Weekender like this.
  8. starbuck

starbuck pfm Member

Nice to see that they are doing the block printing for the vinyl sleeve on a snooker table.

9. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I stupidly missed The Utopia Strong when they played in London recently. People who went said he was super nice and a proper synth geek.

10. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

I wonder what the music was like? The sample track on Bandcamp sounds like a more ambient version of mid period Univers Zero, another drummer lead band influenced by Magma. SD's prog credentials seem intact.

11. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

There are some videos on Youtube including this set from SuperNormal Festival last August

blossomchris likes this.
  12. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

That sounded a lot better than I thought, enjoyed it.

Bloss

13. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

I baulk at the break beats and need a rest after that

Oh god, I'm turning into Mike Reed

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I appear to have bought one.

Snufkin likes this.
  15. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

He did an hour-long prog under the Stuart Maconie banner last year of his favourite modular synth pieces. It’s probably still on iPlayer or whatever it’s called nowadays. I think it was around September.

Edit: Here’s the listing - ‘not currently available.’ But I’m almost certain I have an mp3 should anyone want to hear it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000879q

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    paulfromcamden likes this.