1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

the Teddy Ray house now completely Mac/Apple free!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Teddy Ray, Aug 19, 2012.

1. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

So, is "log cabin" some sort of euphemism?

2. domfjbrown

domfjbrown pfm Member

Fair enough, it's not like I'm gonna buy an iMac any day soon. I buy hifi seperates because I don't want an all-in-one.

3. domfjbrown

domfjbrown pfm Member

Try reading the whole thread before you jump on me, Anex. I've used several versions of Mac at my previous job and just don't get the fuss.

Oh - and 8 years out of date - not entirely true really as I've had a play on my mate's CURRENT iMac which DOES have a two-button mouse, but don't understand why people are willing to pay more for Intel innards, just for a pretty case with a glowing fruit logo on it. I'll stick with my mongrel thrown-together PC and Android phone, thanks.

4. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

nah, i think it's a reference to JFK, who was born in a log cabin.

vuk.

5. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

You are actually getting a domesticated Unix operating system, ie a real operating system.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I guess the most obvious connection is that Al Gore is a major shareholder and IIRC a director.

Apple certainly have a strong creative / arts / intellectual image, and I'm sure one very carefully and deliberately cultivated. There are science connections too, e.g. NASA's Curiosity Rover currently wandering around on Mars is a 1997 PowerPC 750 RISC CPU with a wapping 256MB of RAM, i.e. a really, really obsolete PowerBook! It always surprises me how often Macs are visible in places like NASA, CERN etc, I'd have assumed these locations would be running mainframes or large UNIX installations, though I guess they are in the background.

7. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

No, I think it's just a reference to Abraham Lincoln's humble origins.

8. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

Quite. Tim Berners-Lee's NeXT computer that he developed www on at CERN was designed by a certain S. Job's company at the time, and that OS became what is now OS X. Curiously some shots of the first graphical web browser there show designs for the CMS part of the large hadron collider.

I have to routinely support linux and the number of flavours and difficulties among even minor variants of the same distribution is often frustrating. OS X does just work out the box, will do X11 windowing, ssh into any other unix/linux box, talk CIFS and NFS and is dead easy to configure. I do wish for a system prefs style tool on Windows, especially if playing with network configurations.

9. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

10. Jaspercat

Jaspercat pfm Member

You know I thought you were muisguided when I ready your "all DACS sound the same" and "all speaker cables sound the same" mantras.

Now I honestly believe that you have totally lost the plot.

I have two "Hackintoshes", Apple Macs in all sense of the word but built with non Mac computer hardware. they function the same as an iMac , can be tweaked, paired with my two Apple cimema displays - RAM and GPU's and processors can be upgraded, and these beauties work perfectly - just like a "real" Mac.
    What I mean by work perfectly is that they don't crash, they pair with all hardware in a way my PC doesn't and are great to work with - the trackpad being an example in point. "Native web browsing is terrible" - total rubbish. "Abysmal value for money - again total rubbish - my IOS Mountain Lion software cost a fraction of Windows 7.

Just because you are so computer illiterate that you don't know how to modify them you come on to forums like this and spout your nonesense and people just say, oh it's only Teddy Ray.

No, Apple Mac's rule and that is why there is a growning market for them. Been in an Apple Store recently?

I also have a Mac Mini as my music server, and there are 4 iPhone 4's in the family plus an iPad plus old 3GS which I jailbroke to unlock it so I can use it with ATandT when I am on business in the US.

Apple's record Market Cap didn't happen by accident - it came about because Apple produce stuff that works perfectly - is desirable, affordable, is easy to operate and logical to use in a way that Samsung and Nokia isn't.

Get a life fella.

11. Anex

Anex Señor Member

I have read the thread; I've been posting in it from early on.

You've used some old Macs. Big deal. Compare those to the PCs of the day and they'd seem equally out of date by today's standards.

Clearly it isn't just a pretty case as it runs a different OS and is designed from the ground up to be nice to use. Hence the reason just about every other computer and gadget maker out there borrows from Apple one way or other.

12. Joe

Joe pfm Member

I don't... I picture some Southern Boy redneck polishing his gun collection muttering about what he would like to do to homo's pinko's and liberals.

( and, now,me as well )

13. Interzone

Interzone pfm Member

Macs work. Yay
    PCs work. Yay
    Some people like one and some another. Yay

I like marmite, some people don't (well actually I think it's OK, maybe have it a couple of times a year). Yay

Though my iphone 4 has broken down again in less than 18 months of ownership. Not so yay.

14. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Jaspercat,

Teddy would never write that. His PC doesn't have a shift key.

He shoulda bought a Mac, where shift keys have been standard since 1984.

Joe

15. dave

dave Plywood King

[​IMG]

Lordie...I need to whip up a big ol' batch of pain and sufferin' cupcakes for you boyz.

16. Anex

Anex Señor Member

It's important to pick a side and defend it. To the death if necessary.

Otherwise how will you get sufficient sense of belonging to bury those feelings of latent homosexuality way, way down inside?

17. rzme01

rzme01 can't re member

Well done Annex!

I think yours is the first 'coming out' on PFM.

You appear to show great understanding of how others can come to terms with a public change of orientation through belonging to a tribe.

Top chap.

Many congratulations!

18. Interzone

Interzone pfm Member

Canon vs Nikon. Yay.
    Xbox vs PS3. Yay.

And I don't like to bury those feelings. I embrace them by trawling clapham common on a saturday night.

19. Anex

Anex Señor Member

I've said it before, PFM needs a 'hook-ups' room. All that sexual tension in the audio room needs an outlet.

20. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

I wear my ponysexuality on my chest. In Public.

[​IMG]

Applejack in bondage FTW!

(Sadly the designer doing my website removed the tee shirt and the Apple Logo from the laptop as it was "off-message". She uses a Mac BTW.)