1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Terrifying Rise of The Political/Religious Right.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Mullardman, Mar 12, 2018.

1. ariegur

ariegur pfm Member

I really don't think that it matters and I don't think, in another matter, that someone should be amazed when he finds that Jewish leaders and organizations are raising the issue of Anti-Semitism. You don't expect the Eskimos to do that.

Arye

2. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

Is there any other ethnic grouping out there that can routinely shout "racist" and "bigot" at anyone defending the human rights of minorites and the will of the United Nations (and get away with it), in an ongoing effort to shut down conversation or to distort it? As a white Anglo Saxon I'm pretty sure I can't. Why?

3. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Because. so far, no-one tried to wipe your race off the earth. Worst that happened was a touch of ravishing.

4. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Indeed, the cream of England attend such events. A Leeds fan myself, I have seen much unpleasantness at games.

I did however enjoy going to Anfield once and singing along to 'we' got Dom Matteo, you got car stereo'

5. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Go back to 134BC when the Punics were all but wiped out by the Romans and work your way forward.

However, nothing comes close in sheer number to The Holocaust or the very calculated way it was planned and carried out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genocides_by_death_toll

6. mik_rik

mik_rik Active Member

Post 39 - The last anti jewish riots ,with destruction of property and assaults(no deaths) were in 1947 ,did this co-incide with British service personnel being kidnapped and murdered (hung in an olive grove I believe) and a terrorist bomb attack on a hotel killing 100 people or so.A person who later became prime minister was implicated.Seems to me British restraint was exercised ,not exactly a one way street this "anti" thing.

7. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

This screen grab from wikipedia is most definitely worth posting, as we are seeing the stages toward genocide appear, most blatantly at the moment against the Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar. But you could make a good case that Trump is doing his best to get stages 1, 2 and 3 underway in the U.S.

Fox News and the NRA currently are all over stage 5.

[​IMG]

Joe

DonQuixote99, ariegur, russel and 2 others like this.
  8. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

If a nuclear exchange takes place then it could easily pass the combined total on that list in a few minutes and there might not be any wiki to record the fact.

9. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

Uncle Joe managed to eliminate between 2.4 and 4 million during the collectivisation of the farms. 'The Chairman' would sneer at that puny amount with his Great Leap Forward which led to the deadliest famine in history and the deaths of more than 45 million Chinese people between 1958 and 1962. Good old Marxism in action folks.

10. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

It's a forum, all you need to know :D

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

And the Armenians just after (I think) the Great War? Turkey still denies it but it did happen. Genocide can also comes under the heading of 'ethnic cleansing'. Dear old Saddam did his bit after the first Gulf War by using chemical warfare on the Shiite population of Gulf Arabs. Unfortunately, THE race which shares the seemingly conflicting honours of having so many brilliant scientists, musicians, businessmen and many other noted professions also has the longest history of persecution. Thereby hangs a tales, maybe.

Oh, but how serious for me ! Maybe a slightly non politically correct observation may balance the books.

Catholics are known to 'cross' themselves with their arm and hand; to the head, then stomach, then to the side then the other. You know what I mean. There is also a Jewish cross which is similarly conducted, but, specifically refers to:
    spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch. Far more practical, I feel (Apologies to Ariegur; it IS an old joke)

12. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

Remarkable how a thread discussing the rise of the far right ends up discussing anti semitism (again!) and ignores the rise of the fascist state that rides roughshod over the human rights of millions and the authority of the United Nations...

Let's just get back to the subject matter and accept that the Bibi regime and its backers are indicative of the global problem.[​IMG]

13. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

Unremarkable

14. NeilK

NeilK pfm Member

Sorry I'm a little late back to the party :)

I see what you did there - but - let me try a little harder to illustrate what I mean with a somewhat controversial example. My "strange friends" would look at the recent Kathy Newman/Jordan Peterson interview which caused a bit of a brouhaha on both 'sides' and see a man with a good command of language and some charm becoming a little confused by a poorly prepared and somewhat aggressive approach based on perceived ideas of his stance on several interesting issues ...

if you haven't seen it.

15. gassor

In recent elections, the far right came up short in the Netherlands, Germany and France. In Italy, the right did somewhat better but given Italy's history of fascism it's not that surprising. It is on the rise on Poland, some East European and Scandinavian countries. However, UKIP has disappeared up its own derriere and Ms Le Pen's party have also lost their way. There is a rise, but it's a bit short of being terrifying.

Apart from paying lip service in some cases, I'm not seeing a rise in religious influence connected to a changing political landscape. Even the Wee Frees can't maintain strict Sunday Observance in Stornoway any longer.

16. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

It's not that bad.

17. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

18. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Just trying to look on the bright side.

19. gassor

At least you didn't say the situation was concerning!

20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Is this so-called trend to the 'far right' (what IS far right, b.t.w.?) the same as the undoubted, but as yet patchy trend to popularism? Is this the new term for whatever is the 'far right'? One common theme among these groups is an 'anti E.U.' stance (in European countries). There's little doubt that massive immigration has had a bearing on this political change, but the current economic situation is really not conducive to something like the rise of the Nazis or il Duce Benito between the wars.

Joke. Which railway terminal was used by Billingsgate to despatch lobsters and the like to the provinces?

Kings Crustacean.