1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Tory leadership race- that’s quite a bestiary there.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by TheDecameron, May 28, 2019.

1. peterm

peterm pfm Member

Rory Stewart doesn't half remind me of an older version of Alfred E Neumann of Mad Magazine (am I showing my age here?)

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Immigrant votes for anti immigrant government and applauds move to suspended democracy. In the old days we had representative democracy that functioned to keep turkeys from pecking at the lever that sped up the turkey- Christmas conveyor belt. Alas, this function has been suspended and today you see the result.

SteveS1 and andrewd like this.
  3. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

The Stones' song 'Salt of the Earth' is as true now as it was 50 years ago:

'Let's drink to the stay-at-home voters
    Whose empty eyes gaze at strange beauty shows
    Endless parades of grey-suited grafters
    A choice of cancer or polio'

4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

N’er speak I’ll of the dead.

[​IMG]

5. Darmok

Darmok "A Priori Teleology."

6. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Boris Johnson has done a speech and is now answering questions. A journalist from The Daily Mail asked him about a quote in GQ magazine where Johnson said he'd taken cocaine.

He completely ignored the question and went into a selling himself spiel. There was no applause to this from the Tory MP backers of him in the audience.

I hope The Daily Mail and the rest of the press slaughter him over the issue. Given how right-wing and EU hating many of them are, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.

Jack

7. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Sad, because Rory has the right ideas (for a Tory), but he's in a party which isn't interested in them except as soundbites that might get the gullible to follow for a bit longer.

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Some interesting polling data from ComRes predicting how different Tory leaders would fair in a GE. Johnson appearing substantially ahead, though I suspect short of an overall majority (Twitter). Scary stuff. I’m horrified by just how weak Labour look in a playing field against this pompous elitist buffoon with such a lengthy track record of bumbling incompetence or worse.

9. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Telegraph poll shows Telegraph-backed candidate to have best chance of beating Corbyn. Who'd have thought.

stephen bennett likes this.
  10. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Johnson is a shoe-in. I can’t see how parliament can stop a no-deal. He’ll go for a GE after that as soon as the Brexit vote returns to the Tories and the new leader honeymoon period still ongoing.

The idea that Conservatives will vote to bring down the Government to stop no-deal is surely fantasy. Look how Stewart backed out of the coalition attempt to make no-deal impossible.

Stephen

11. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

Somewhat ironically, if I were Scottish and it was possible, I’d vote for that chain of events. Just to put an end to being continually dragged into the political mire by the kind of English people who would want to live in the resulting England.

denni55 and davyc like this.
  12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It wouldn’t surprise me if the other candidates don’t now fairly rapidly drop-out leading to a coronation. I know its only one poll, but the recent ComRes indicates Johnson is the only one who can seriously dent Farage, and that seems to be the Tories’ sole priority at present. As such I’m beginning to think they’ll quickly install Johnson and go to the country with a GE whist Corbyn is so weak and damaged and before Farage and his pimp have had a chance to select and field a full 650 candidates. I may collect my £70 (a free tenner at 7/1 on a GE this year) after all!

sean99 and stephen bennett like this.
  13. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Seriously Tony that poll is blatant propaganda targeted at an audience of roughly 100,000. But yes, I sincerely hope it bamboozles the lot of them into backing both Johnson and a GE.

14. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

From a purely political SNP perspective a result like that (i.e. Johnson, Farage & Corbyn all leading parties hell-bent on the economic suicide that is Brexit) does sound useful in delivering independence however there is a human element to this too - especially as I'm half-English and have a lot of family down there (and quite a few of them being Brexiters). Also we need to consider the state we'd be in if there wasn't a Yes vote for independence (or if, like Brexit, the result is too tight to really support the change - which is very possible) and we were stuck with being out of the EU.

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

ComRes are one of the better known market research companies so it’s hardly a poll on Conservative Home, Guido Fawkes, Another Angry Voice or whatever partisan propaganda site! Sure, the Telegraph obviously funded it, but I’d still expect it to have a fair bit of credible statistical methodology, demographic targeting etc behind it. It will be interesting to see what other research digs up over the next few weeks, but I’d be surprised if it was too far off the mark. My disappointment is just how poorly Rory Stewart faired, the Tories ongoing march to the hard right is very clear to see.

PS The intellectual giant that is Liz Truss has just described The Johnson as “a visionary”. I’ll just leave that there without comment.

16. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Even if the methodology for both the polling and the translation into seats were beyond reproach and brilliantly optimised - unlikely, IMO - we're still talking about a form of entrail-reading that in 2017 was 20 points out about an actual election, with actual leaders. The predictive value of this poll is literally zero, which everyone understands, really, so the risks to ComRes of skewing the results towards their clients' wishes are also zero. Propaganda value for the Telegraph, and for Johnson: remarkably high. But in this case that's fine. Good luck to them.

17. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

He certainly seems the best, i.e. realistic WRT Brexit, of those standing.

Interesting too that while Johnson said the country would be leaving the EU on the 31st of October, with or without a deal, he refused to say that he'd resign if that didn't happen. Nothings more important to Johnson than Johnson (apart perhaps from his johnson). I'm sure the ERG took note.

18. Darmok

Darmok "A Priori Teleology."

fify. ;)

Covkxw likes this.
  19. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

Johnson fell apart under questioning. Because he's a massive liar and he's always lying and you can't believe a word he says.

"I'm the champion of business."
    "Er… So what did you mean when you said 'f**k business'?"

Very much the Eton Trump. "Nobody has done more for business than me". Right down to the boos for Beth Rigby. Only the public school manners of Johnson's backers stopped them from shouting "fake news!".

But they are keeping him under wraps like a prize fighter, as they think he's won if he doesn't do anything (too) stupid.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Agreed, but 2017 had a very obvious flaw (not adequately counting the student vote), which has a) since been factored, and b) largely left Corbyn anyway. It would be beyond stupid to believe that bias still existed now. Like any social science it is imperfect, but it also learns and corrects with every input. IIRC the majority of polling for the locals and EU elections underestimated the estebt of Labour's failure, so yes there is a margin for error, but don’t for a second think you have it your way every time!

PS The 2017 data wasn’t so far off the mark, I certainly won my bet on a hung parliament!