1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Tory leadership race- that’s quite a bestiary there.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by TheDecameron, May 28, 2019.

1. drummerman

drummerman pfm Member

He said exactly the right things to gain votes. He avoided the questions he should have avoided.

Great performance (in a politicians way). He has obviously been well advised unlike others ... Stewart.

Only a tit like Gove would think admitting to drug use will further his leadership chances.

Wilson likes this.
  2. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Re 2017, the problem wasn't with the methodology, it's with the fundamental relationship that polling has to reality in general and with future, hypothetical general elections in particular, which can't be corrected. There are some things polling does well, although never straightforwardly, and there are some things where you just have to say, the real meaning of this is not what it tells us about the future but what it's actually doing in the present.

3. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Rory is a media construct. The speeches, the vision, everything, are completely detached from what he is and does. He couldn't have made this clearer than by telling everyone he's 100% against no deal and will do everything he possibly can to stop it, and then literally hours later telling them there is no way he'll vote for the motion that will allow no deal to be stopped. He's Boris Johnson, Rees-Mogg, for a different audience.

ff1d1l likes this.
  4. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

RichardH, andrewd and jackbarron like this.
  5. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

What I find amusing amid your performing seal applause for the likes of Johnson, is his party policy toward someone of your profile. While EU citizens living in Britain automatically receive rights and protections, had you arrived into the UK recently, with a non EU passport, low skilled and economically inactive/ below their £30k pa earning threshold, you’d be targeted for deportation.

6. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

He was about to be smeared so decided to try and control the situation by admitting it himself.

doctorf likes this.
  7. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

The new Private Eye cover is worth a look.

8. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Michael Gove's Mrs, Sarah Vine, suggested he should come clean about the charlie, because it would make the press anyway. This is on the front page of The Daily Mail. She also says she loves him. Urgh !

Jack

9. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

Yeah, my post was a bit tongue in cheek, naturally.

But while we're on the SNP, what do you think the chances would be, in the aftermath of the possible snap election, of the SNP agreeing to a coalition or similar arrangement with Westminster Labour, on condition that the SNP agreed that there wouldn't be another independence vote until after the parliament had ended? Possibly in exchange for a guaranteed PV with remain on the ballot within the first year?

I'm just musing about how a progressive coalition might come about, if that's how things shook out.

10. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

11. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I don't see Labour and the SNP entering a formal coalition but could definitely see some kind of confidence and supply arrangement as an anti-Tory/Brexit party alliance. I'm sure the SNP would want two main things:
    1) Backing for a 2nd independence referendum
    2) Backing for a 2nd Brexit referendum with Remain on the card and with Labour politicians who themselves back Remain being allowed to campaign for it

12. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

Yeah, it's kinda my point that number 1 would be incompatible with forming an alliance with any Westminster party - you can't form a credible government with the backing/involvement of a party whose main aim is currently to force the dissolution of the country being governed, and which actually participates in governing only as a stepping stone to bringing about that dissolution.

In the same way that a progressive alliance is unlikely to be possible unless Labour gets a lot more remainy.

A bit off topic, perhaps. So forgive the quality, but here's a fairly snappy bit of Owen Jones making a similar case to Polly's a few posts above:

13. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

I wrote this on 21st of March, i thought it was obvious that this is the way it was gonna pan out...just drop No deal above tin pot dictatorship and the order is more or less right.

No Deal.

Resignation.

Tory Leadership Battle.

Johnson wins, with Gove, Lord Snooty and the rest of the multimillionarses as his deputies.

Britain becomes tin pot nostalgic dictatorship.

Starts war with country it knows it can beat.

14. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

Can any of the others beat Esther McVey spending £8750 of taxpayers money getting photos of herself? At least she kept the money in the Tories. :rolleyes:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...thousands-of-pounds-for-personal-photographer

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Staggering. This from the person who consistently voted to make the lives of the disabled a living hell with her punitive benefit cuts. I bet the cost breakdown was £50 for the photos and £8.7k trying to photoshop some degree of humanity into them.

naimplayer, RichardH, sean99 and 2 others like this.
  16. Romulus

Romulus pfm Member

If Boris Johnson does something inardvertent in the future and manages UK to remain in the EU he will turn from villain to hero for me :)

17. Minio

Minio pfm Member

I enjoyed the Johnson press conference today. It seems that the BJ team used the cunning tactic of giving a journalist a microphone to ask one question then quickly grab back the mic.

This allowed the blonde bombaster to answer a load of voter pleasing Tory twaffle totally unchallenged whilst completely not answering the question.

Most entertaining comedy of the day!

18. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

It's strange that Johnson's admission of cocaine use* has had little impact while Gove's appears to have ruined his chances to become PM.

Is this a hierarchy of an inability to be prosecuted for drug use?

Is it possible that had either had gone to an inner city comprehensive, they'd be up before the magistrate?

Stephen

*depending on which version he's admitted to, he says he either thought the 'white powder' was coke and it wasn't or he knew it was coke and took it 'to little effect.' Either way he's as culpable as Gove.

19. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

This one?

[​IMG]

Darmok, Nick_G and Mullardman like this.
  20. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

And that’s being generous