1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The TRUTH Why Modern Music Is Awful

Discussion in 'music' started by DonQuixote99, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I’m out of touch.
    Is this the Cloud that things are stored on ?

Still likes this.
  2. herb

herb music live

3. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Depends which episodes are shown, the early 80's had some diverse acts on show, Dexy's, Adam & the ants, Depeche mode, New order, Yazoo etc.. all went a bit odd after this, stock aitken & waterman took over, horrible.

The only band I can say I enjoy with a passion in the modern era is Alt J.
    I do also have a penchant for the Avici "True" album, I enjoy all that western ho down stuff, works well on this particular album mixed with dance music, lots of fun.

Still likes this.
  4. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Yep that's the exact time it all went seriously Pete Tong. About 1984... when complete ****ers everywhere suddenly thought white socks, tints and hair gel were a good idea!

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

...conveniently forgetting about so many amazing bands; Sonic Youth, Pixies, Minutemen, Cocteau Twins, Throwing Muses, The The, Talk Talk etc etc, and then all the electronia etc that came in with Derek May, 808 State, KLF, Orb etc etc. As is always the case there is shed-loads of amazing music to be found just a few cm in any direction from the corporate pop charts.

6. Arkless Electronics

How many times do I need to repeat that I'm talking ONLY about the charts in EVERYTHING I SAY on the matter?????

7. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Everyone you mention had chart success. KLF had 2 number one singles....in the 90's

8. Arkless Electronics

As so many here have been recommending GOGO Penguin I gave them a listen... crap. No tunes. Just tinkly "jazz" meanderings that go nowhere...

9. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Jez, I love how you seem to expect some consensus over what's good. Bless.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Still likes this.
  10. busb

busb Mine's a pint of beer please

I use YouTube almost daily for cycling related stuff, cosmology, particle physics & music that never made it onto CD. I stumbled on this a few months back - it's very thought provoking. However, it's touching on a far more worrying trend that New Scientist reported on - the declining level of intelligence that peaked in the 50s to 90s that has dropped since. The key message to my mind was the effect of risk aversion.

11. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Ok. So, my wife asked me for the latest Cd from Ollie Murs. Oh, I say. But I think brownie points etc so get her said cd.

Play said heresy CD on main rig.

I have to say this is very resonable! There. No doubt I’ll get banned from here for a month for daring to post such stuff.

12. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

You are hereby banned, for thinking you will be. For 10 nanoseconds...

Andrew C! likes this.
  13. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

Don't worry @Andrew C! They're still booing Mitski.

Andrew C! likes this.
  14. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

It’s just talking along with the music as far as I can see.
    Come to that, his articulation leaves something to be desired...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  15. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

I don't expect consensus, I expect my choices to have universal acceptance. Damn you!

darrenyeats likes this.
  16. Arkless Electronics

Only from those with similarly pristine good taste as myself.

darrenyeats likes this.