1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The World Cup In Russia 2018

Discussion in 'off topic' started by jackbarron, Jun 13, 2018.

1. adamk

adamk pfm Member

Southgate did marvellous with a pretty average group of players.
    WC semifinals was beyond our wildest dreams pre tournament.

Ragaman, GJO, Mr Cat and 2 others like this.
  2. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

What did I say about Vardy. Also, Rashford was useless. Nonetheless, well done Southgate, Pickford and Trippier, all outstanding through the tournament. It will be a footballing miracle if France don’t win.

3. BJP

BJP The Blue Dawg

Yes indeed , the quality of national teams has declined.

Ragaman and jackbarron like this.
  4. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

Ah, that song is by a member of Liverpool group, Big in japan, i.e. Ian Broudie. Other top chart topping members of the group were; Holly Johnson, Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Bill Drummond, KLF and manager of Zoo Records, Budgie, drummer with The Slits and Siouxsie and the Banshees. Dave Balfe, Zoo Records, Food Records and the man who was the subject of Blur's first number one, "Country House." Jayne Casey, Pink Military and Cream, the Club. & Clive Langer producer to far too many to mention.

5. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

it seems to me that cultures from your former colonies have had more than a bit of impact in shaping that of contemporary england/britain. this isn't a binary thing (or one-way street) and not sure why you think it's a hang-up of mine.

Schnitger likes this.
  6. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

We overachieved tbh, I'd stick with the U21/19's and bring them in.. we will need a midfield and a decent captain I feel

7. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

you are going to have to remind me.

8. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

That if he was on the pitch England were either loosing or were going to.

9. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

Champions League and the World Cup are worlds apart nowadays, because the big clubs buy the best players to be successful. However, as a spectacle, the tournament still holds its own for drama, even though a team like Denmark played with a defender from Ipswich Town FC, and another from Brentford FC.

Ragaman likes this.
  10. Hook

Hook pfm Member

Croatia deserves full credit for the win. First time in WC history that a team has won 3 straight 120 minute matches! Remarkable toughness and stamina, and just enough creativity. I know they are not everyone’s favorite side right now, but congrats to them, and best of luck versus France!

jtrade and maxflinn like this.
  11. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

How does that work then? 6 year-old black kid gets in at Man U juniors and brings with him some ready-made African flair?

12. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

The boys have done extremely well, seeing as so many were so downbeat about their chances before the tournament began. It was a monumental effort by a young team, a team that controlled the ball, and looked like an England team that could actually control a game, when previously our Golden Generation were found wanting. I was looking forward to see how they would perform pre tournament, and they've made this a summer to remember, even if reaching the final was a step too far.

Weekender and Mr Cat like this.
  13. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

He brought his Vuvuzela.

14. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

here is an article on the situation in france:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

no need to get all wound up. this is just friendly armchair theorizing (and i was referencing an english journalist -- if i recall correctly, in the guardian, paper edition -- not my own theory).

15. mhv

mhv pfm Member

16. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

Surely though Sterling (for example) does bring some of his ancestral Jamaican flavour to the England team?... he’s not that great at football, but can run bloody fast.

Weekender and vuk like this.
  17. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

Yes, you will see more brilliant football in the CL and EPL, but because everyone in a country supports the national team (apart from Jack!) it gets half the planet engaged. So as a spectacle it is unsurpassed.

vuk likes this.
  18. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

Now?

Anyway.. that went well...

Even a footie hignoramus like me could see far too much back passing to the goalie by Engerland.. and an awful lot of it very casual and dangerous.

Also.. again.. far too much running into traffic and standing about like a divvy trying to decide where to pass to, or alternatively trying to do a Matthews or Best and take on the entire opposition single footedly. PASS THE BALL!!!!

Still ..at least they got to the semis..

I predict that Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Chermany etc., will be back with mahoossively improved teams next time around. They won't spend 30 years buggering about.. so we'd better do something in the Euro wotsit in between World Cups.. or it's oblivion time again..

19. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

Because you were saying the same sort of thing about the South American teams. Not our colonies, but someone's. Anyone's!

20. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Wikipedia mentions Ian Broudie, The Lightning Seeds, David Baddiel and Frank Skinner wrote and recorded the song.

The Germans like tune and sang it somewhat ironically after they beat us in the semis of Euro 96.

New Order's World In Motion is much more on the beat as a football song for me. It's funny, involves players and has a cool En-ger-land chant.

Jayne Casey puts up some great posts with a lot of political insight and humour on Facebook. Don't think I've ever met her though.

Jack

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Still and tqineil like this.