1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The World Cup In Russia 2018

Discussion in 'off topic' started by jackbarron, Jun 13, 2018.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

on the final:

croatia had better football intelligence, but france had superior athleticism and a touch of luck. even though i am happy about the result from a social perspective, as a football fan, i'd like to see rule changes to redress the imbalance back a bit toward intelligence.

interesting to consider that a unified yugoslavia would have taken this AND wimbledon on the same day.

PsB likes this.
  2. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

In a local open space, once an aristocratic estate, now owned by the local council, new direction signs have just been put up. One sign points to 'foot golf'. Presumably this is for people who can't afford golf clubs.

3. anubisgrau

anubisgrau pfm Member

undeserved title?

for me it's hard to accept that any team who has 0 victories and 3 draws in regular time after the groups against (average teams like) denmark, russia, england, can claim a deserved title. meanwhile france beat argentina, uruguay, belgium without issues.

people fail to notice that ball possession or fighting spirit is not a condition to deserve a victory. croatia fell into a same trap as belgium in semi finals, endless inefficient circles around the box, better possession but without execution. meanwhile france played their game - routine defense and super efficient counter attacks ending with goals.

Ragaman, PsB, sean99 and 3 others like this.
  4. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Indeed, but scoring lots of goals in group matches isn't a condition either, it's about winning when there's no other option. Italians are good at that too.

5. anubisgrau

anubisgrau pfm Member

Sure, I'm only trying to put some balance into the comments that completely undermine what France played yesterday. They deliberately gave the ball to the Croats, focussing on counter attacks. It didn't work in the first half, it worked in the second. Some people will remember the finals for the Croatian possession (with hardly any clear chances produced), I will remember it for Pogba's goal, from his long pass for Mbappe at the beginning to amazing finish with right and left foot. At the moment I can't remember if I saw anything similar before, for sure not at the game of this level and certainly the moment of the WC2018. There was more football in these 10 seconds than in any 10 minutes of Croatian dominance yesterday.

6. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

I'll remember it for a couple of iffy refereeing decisions which forced Croatia to chase the game - little between the teams really and when Kante was withdrawn at 2-1, the French were hanging on

christray likes this.
  7. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Personally I thought it was definitely one of the better World Cups that I have experienced.
    Undoubtedly the best team won the tournament but hats off to Croatia for making it to the final.
    I'm still trying to get my head around Olivier (scorpion) Giroud being a World Cup winner WTF:D
    My personal choice for player of the tournament would have been Mbappé but I wouldn't begrudge Modric winning it as he performed at a consistently high level throughout.

Rana and Weekender like this.
  8. Still

Still beware of the duck

I don't have an interest in football except the World Cup. A filthy habit picked up at work.
    This has been an enjoyable tournament imo, and the final with Pussy Riot pitch invasion + Kylian Mbappes high five topped it off.

[​IMG]

jackbarron and blossomchris like this.
  9. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Seriously?

anubisgrau likes this.
  10. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

The New Yorker have an article about the Pussy Riot invasion. https://www.newyorker.com/sporting-...y-of-pussy-riots-protest?mbid=social_facebook

"The four women, by taking the field, demonstrated exactly how that happens: the beautiful world of sport has its bubble punctured by people running and flailing haphazardly, intent on destruction. The group’s statement concluded with a list of demands:

1. Free all political prisoners.

2. Stop jailing people for social-media “likes.”

3. Stop illegal arrests at protests.

4. Allow political competition.

5. Stop fabricating criminal cases and putting people in jail for no reason.

6. Turn the earthly policeman into a Heavenly Policeman.

"And so Pussy Riot became the only people to make a meaningful statement about Russian politics during the World Cup—and it came on the eve of Vladimir Putin’s triumphant meeting with Donald Trump."

Shouldn't imagine Mr Putin was too happy about this, or Trump given that he seems to hate women.

Jack

Weekender, blossomchris and Still like this.
  11. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

another one (for nogomet) would be "leg polo".

12. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

That was a superb goal between Pogba and Mbappe. Just as well for Pogba as he missed an absolute sitter minutes later and then tried to detract attention by appealing for handball.

Still it was a very entertaining final. Points for determination and athleticism go to Croatia, but the points for clinical finishing go to France - and that's what really counts. That's always been England's undoing - the strikers can't beat the keeper.

Still and jackbarron like this.
  13. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

Still likes this.
  14. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

anubisgrau likes this.
  15. anubisgrau

anubisgrau pfm Member

guess what:

french possession against:

argentina 40%
    belgium 36%
    croatia 39%

seriously?

vuk likes this.
  16. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

I have to say that, with different tactics, France could have swamped Croatia. There's not one player in that team the big clubs won't be chasing shortly. Deschamps was lucky that he had such a talented team to using his pedestrian tactics. Fair enough, he went for the safe option, but I can't imagine Klopp, Fergusaon or Southgate not adopting a more attacking strategy.

France won, and they deserved to win. Croatia played well, and Dalic outpointed Deschamps on tactics, but that didn't matter, not with the talent they were facing. 4 shots on goal, four goals. Says it all.

Despite the plaudits, I'd pick not Mbappé but Griezmann and Pogba as being the outstanding contributors to France's success, with honorable mentions to Mtiti, Hernandez, Mbappé, Pavard and Varane. As to Mbappé his last goal was brilliant.

Weekender, PsB and vuk like this.
  17. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

You must remember Putin is the master of propaganda, May has a long way to go before she reaches these heady heights.

18. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Gareth is throwing everything at a possession game, Remember Spain a few years back, won everything playing this way, times they are a changin'

19. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Very few will remember how France played or how poor Anderson was in both finals, the name on the trophy lasts forever.
    That old cliché of playing ugly & winning is better than playing pretty, intelligent football & losing, ask any fan of a particular country or league team.
    England need to learn to get their hands dirty, I don't mean fouling the opposition or cheating to win but watch Pogba in the quarter & semi, this is how the biggest stars play when they have to, they help out doing the ugly stuff, not afraid to sacrifice their instinctive talents to win, Modric almost ran a half marathon against England to ensure his country reached a world cup final, when England heads dropped, he carried on regardless, he reaped the rewards of his hard earned toil. Ironically Harry Kane was the only England player I saw do this, rather than stand around waiting, he often found himself just outside his own box to enable him to get hold of the ball & get things moving through midfield, who struggled through this world cup.

20. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

warning: you're now going to be in big trouble with joe hutch.