1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Theraputic things to do on a Thursday?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by cpg, Feb 13, 2020.

1. cpg

cpg pfm Member

I had a very enjoyable morning, this involved a chain saw and a 25m tall fir tree.
    The fir tree is no longer standing and been sawn into many pieces which will be later be burnt in a wood burning stove.
    There is something particually satisfying using a chain saw, perhaps the risk of the tree falling on your house if you get everything badly wrong.
    Strangly enough whilst I was cutting the logs to length I thought I was somehow inflicting great pain on all the trolls who post on pfm and spoil the atmosphere of the forum.

Comment on threads, have different opinions, express them, but please also respect other peoples views. There aren't that many good forums on the net.

2. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I'm having a pint.

Snufkin and Gaycha like this.
  4. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

Haven't done it for a while, but Thursdays used to be one of my favourite days for getting a trap bunker to myself at a nearby range, replacing ear defenders with IEMs, and doing 100 Olympic trap targets at my own pace and with a decent soundtrack. Work’s rather got in the way for the last couple of years, but it was definitely a Thursday thing.

5. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Is it OK to do that? I’m asking on behalf of a friend who is cutting down a pine tree and is a little worried about resinous stuff in the flue if he burns it.

And so you can think of me next time you have the chainsaw out I’ll gently point out that ‘therapeutic’ has an ‘e’ in it.

Ow, I felt that. You must have made an early start today.

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I've heard this, if it bothers you then mixing the pine with other fuels will make sure that any resin is burnt off.

7. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Keeping it good and dry helps; two years air dry. Burns hotter and more thoroughly.

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Trees are wonderful things, we should be planting them, not cutting them down!

9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Indeed, but people plant them in the wrong places. People put forest trees like Scots Pine in suburban gardens FFS, then wonder why after 20 years they are 40 ft tall and damaging the foundations. I've had to get medieval on a Leylandii hedge's ass, I was trying to manage it in situ and it just wasn't working, the stuff was growing 2ft in a year. About 18 months ago I'd had enough. I have now butchered it to about 8ft tall, major trunks off at about 6ft, all the naysayers who thought I'd kill it were wrong, it's reaching for the sky again. Same goes for a Cupressus stewartii that I had to teach a lesson last year, it's looking a bit savaged right now but this summer it will take off.

10. Marchbanks

In fairness I think I’ve more than balanced out my friend’s pine tree (coming down because it is starting to pose a potential threat to his neighbour’s house - and by extension, him) by selling off half-a-dozen or so oak saplings annually for the last few years and donating the proceeds. Each winter I dig a few up from my carefully chosen planting site (OK, where the squirrels left them), put them in big pots and flog them at the village fête the following year. You would be surprised how much folk will pay for a half-metre high oak! I left one on the site chosen by the squirrel landscape artist about 15 years ago. It is now around 6m tall and looking splendid in the shadow of its ancient mother in the field behind.

sean99 likes this.
  11. MVV

MVV pfm Member

On the topic of softwood and wood burners. Be careful. I went through a year of using softwood in a Woodwarm stove which is particularly good at being shut down overnight and when you open it up in the morning it just starts again. Any how all those nights of standing/ slow resin smoke coated the inside of the chimney and we had a wonderful chimney fire! So I think it will be fine so long as you have it burning cleanly but be wary of slowing it down or using it exclusively.

Snufkin and Gaycha like this.
  12. Marchbanks

I still shudder when I remember the flue fire I had after a period of burning crap like telegraph poles and old fence posts. Looking up the chimney and seeing the bend in the flue glowing dull red was scary, to say the least. And the sweep was extremely unimpressed with me when he saw the carbonized crud that came out.

Rug Doc and Gaycha like this.
  13. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

This - beware resin build ups in flue. I ditched the softwood some years ago.
    Burning wood if fine if it is from managed resources.

14. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

You continue to impress me. Was it a toss the caber type manoeuvre to get the telegraph pole down the chimney?

Bart likes this.
  15. Bart

Bart pfm Member

Babysitting grandchildren - wonderful things, shame you have to have the parents first!

Snufkin likes this.
  16. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Take Friday off.

17. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

There yer go... I'd never heard of them apart from an ex having a copy of that and wanting me to transcribe it to CD for her.

18. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Lynching Tories from all these trees would be therapeutic beyond measure and a great service to the community and economy.

19. cpg

cpg pfm Member

You're right, however sometimes they get too tall (over 25m is tall for a fir tree, it was about 50 years old) and take the light away from the house.
    I will be planting a couple of replacements, somewhat smaller that will only grow to be about 15m high.
    I read somewhere that trees absorb a lot of CO2 in their early growing phase but the CO2 uptake reduces when the trees are mature. Does anyone know if this is true?