1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Things to do with a Raspberry Pi 4...

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Nov 30, 2019.

1. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

The card I’m using is an Eaget 16gb. It has a 1 inside a U, HC1 and 10 inside a C. Could the card be the source of my black screen issue?

2. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

if it’s a bad card then yes, I think Eaget are a reasonable make but they may be fake if you are not absolutely sure of the source, even the US military have been hit with fake components, it’s a huge problem.

3. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Many thanks, i’ll try a new card. Will a Sandisk extreme give me anything that an ultra will not....apart from bigger numbers!

4. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

The faster it is the faster the pi can get data on and off the disc, whether you will notice however is another matter.

ks.234 likes this.
  5. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

ks.234 likes this.
  6. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Quicker read time, write time about the same.

ks.234 likes this.
  7. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

I ran out of Raspberry Pis yesterday. I have 4 in various roles.
    • OpenVPN device. All my mobile device traffic goes through this without any noticeable decrease in speed despite running on a RPi2.
    • NOAA weather satellite image decoder
    • Flightaware ADSB base station
    • Cirrus Audio card streamer, used primarily with Airplay and Tidal.
    I had to pull the one off my 3D printer because I didn't use it much and wanted to get going with Flightaware yesterday.

8. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

This, even if you are not into paid subs streaming, this is great route to the wonderful world of internet radio etc

You have an iPad? Get Squeezepad app (£5 but more than worth it) http://squeezepad.com/2011/01/squeezepad-and-airplay-this-is-how-it-works/
    That will enable your iPad to act as a streamer and also to cast via Airplay.

Stick LMS on yer pi. Squeezepad will talk to your server, bingo.

9. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Yes, that’s precisely the way I’ve gone. Works for me.

Gaycha likes this.
  10. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

I don't sweat about this at all (much)

Here is some info, post #4

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=232148

The speed has increased with the rpi4b, here is a link to comparative speeds

https://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/microsd-cards#4-model-b

remember what the pi is desighned for, no need to make a silk purse..............:rolleyes:
    defaultis fine fer lernin''''''''''':oops:

ronnie

ks.234 likes this.
  11. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

If you run SMBup on your Mac, you can configure an SMB share that will be visible to KODI on the Pi. Menus with cover art can be a bit draggy on the KODI remote, but it's a pretty good media player - it also supports most TV remotes over HDMI.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Still playing with Linux at present and sadly finding it the same bug-ridden half-developed stuff it was last time I used it! Manjaro looks really nice, I had it all running fine and working perfectly online, with Libre Office etc, but then I did the thing that one should never ever do with Linux and ran the software update app in the systems settings and allowed it to upgrade all the things it said it wanted to update. Obviously it now won’t boot (can’t load KDE or somesuch, then crashes solid). Because bloody Linux! Life is just too short, I’ll flatten the SD card again.

Gentoo again looks like a competent and usable OS, again a nice aesthetic and user interface, but once you dig into it many things I expect are missing, most obviously a functioning package manager, and even some basic stuff like creating user accounts needs to be done from terminal. That was acceptable back in the ‘80s, but come on, this is the 21st century! No one should have to put up with sub-Win NT functionality on a modern 4GB RAM machine, even if it is so cheap.

Raspbian is by far the best I’ve tried so far as it does actually work! It is far more limited in scope, but it does seem to cover what it claims to without the bugs or omissions of the other two. As such I think that is the one I will end up using even though it is not fully 64 bit, and in many ways just not as nice. It does however meet the requirement of a simple but very usable web and basic computing tasks machine. I assume being the default option for such a widely used computer means it is far better tested.

The one I wish was up to the job is the old Acorn RiscOS, but whilst available for the Pi sadly it looks to be abandonware in any real sense. It doesn’t seen to have been updated at all since I last used the Pi3 and it is simply incapable of displaying much/most current web content. A real shame as I like the simplicity, tiny footprint, speed and heritage dating back to the BBC Micro.

PS I have a feeling I may be approaching this wrongly thinking of it the way I would a proper computer. I suspect I’ll be better served not even bothering to customise or update whatever Linux I choose and keep any data well away from it on a separate drive, i.e. use the SD as a simple boot/system/default app loader and just burn a new one every now and again to get a later version. That way one doesn’t need to waste hours of time doing anything beyond the most basic initial setup (create user account, get it on the network, mount a data source etc). Just flatten/re-burn to get a later version and don’t go anywhere near the buggy software update junk. I’ll try using a USB stick as a data drive, I assume if I go with exFAT I can move it between the Pi and the Mac? That way I can just not care in the slightest about what’s on the SD card and just burn a new one whenever needed.

13. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

I'm in a similar place @Tony L : when my comparable last-possible-utterly-servicable MacBookPro gives up, either I fix if from the slightly-older spare I have; or (and more likely) just go rogue with a Hackintosh: the os.x I choose, on commodity hardware that is better-value.

(PS at that point, I'll have been Mac user, fan, and buyer, for 30yrs+;
    and won't feel the least bit bad about such a move.)

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ll almost certainly be buying an iPad Pro when the next version comes out early next year as I do 95% of my day to day work on my current iPad Air 2 which is getting rather long in the tooth. The Pi is a great emergency machine, e.g. if I needed to apply a pfm server update patch and my 2012 MBP decided it was the day to die I could do it before going out to buy a new computer or trying to fix it.

I also suspect the Pi has taught me I don’t actually need a laptop. I bought a 3 metre micro HDMI to HDMI lead, and the 50” HD TV at this viewing distance is fine. I can read the screen ok whilst typing on the Model M on the trunk/table thing (you’ve seen the back room so know what I mean). As such I suspect I’ll remain in the Apple ecosystem for a while yet, but may just buy a Mini when the MBP eventually dies.

FWIW I don’t think Hackintosh has any future thanks to Apple’s new T2 chip and similar, plus I’m still expecting them to migrate away from Intel entirely fairly soon. I’m hoping my MBP has another two or more years in it as I suspect by that point the trajectory will be a lot clearer. It is all highly annoying; I hate Apple from the ‘right to repair/upgrade’ angle, have zero respect for the whole Tim Cook ‘thinness as a key performance metric’ thing, but an hour or two playing with Linux leaves me in absolutely no doubt just how good OS X actually is!

PS I’m still on Mojave, not brave enough to go to Catalina yet! Mojave is a very, very good OS IMO. Stable and does everything I need without any faff.

15. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

.. I'm still on El Cap for sim reasons; and the fact that nothing offered later offers anything else I need, at all.
    So I'll not not require T2 compatibility, either.But I do have full install packs & combo updates downloaded for all later versions.

(Good firewall & internal network hygiene can deal with external security threats meanwhile: not enough reason to 'upgrade' there.)

16. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

I use a MBP myself and don't see myself leaving it for Linux again any time soon (though I used to love Ubuntu). But are you basing your current opinion of Linux only on your RPi 4 experience?

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, I’ve not got any other machine to try it on. To be honest I’d have been perfectly happy with Manjaro if the built-in software update wasn’t BTF. I also find it somewhat bizarre that something downloaded only yesterday claims it needs about about 300 updates! Lose the bugs and it would be fine. No modern OS, even a free one, should actually break itself just by running an update routine it is asking for.

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I get the RPi as a learning device or custom stuff, but if all you want is internet radio then a £30 Amazon fire gets that out of the box for less money to boot.

gintonic likes this.
  19. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

RPi as a learning device, is great, so long as you have the learning materials to support the learning.

Without any guidance, aim or direction, you'd learn more building a standard desktop PC from scratch

20. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I suspect that with Ive gone the "thinness at all costs" approach may have gone too. The reintroduction of the older, less problematic, keyboards may point to that.

Like you I've considered buying a Pi, but I really have no need for one and don't know what I'd do with it. I have an old MacBook from around 2006 that's useless now and I keep thinking about putting Linux on it, but again I don't know what I'd use it for if I did.

I currently use a 2012 MacMini as my main machine. That got a good kick in performance when I put the OS on an SSD, but it's getting to the point where I'll soon be thinking of a replacement. I'm hoping by the time the next MacMini is announced there'll be a clear road map of Apple's longer term intentions regarding processors.