1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Things to do with a Raspberry Pi 4...

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Nov 30, 2019.

1. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

OSX is based on BSD, which is Unix and free, A lot of the internet runs on Linux, so it’s not exactly bad, it just depends on the implementation, Ubuntu on a PC is very different in terms of robustness to a Pi, I have running on four PC in the house and I don’t remember a “kernel panic”, Linux blue screen, in the past ten years. The big problem with using a pi is that the graphics acceleration ends up not being used because of driver issues in a lot of cases and then it’s too slow for watching I player.

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I have Ubuntu on a HP desktop, modest spec, for what I do (net, LibreOffice) it runs like a watch. Had about 6 years from it now.

3. sam_cat

sam_cat C'est Crounchifique!

Not sure if its been mentioned already, but dedicated a pi as a PiHole on your home (or work) network is very good.
    https://pi-hole.net/

Recently moved all DHCP control over to it as well, much nicer interface than the router.

Also use one for OpenEnergyMonitor:
    https://openenergymonitor.org/

Monitors solar generation and domestic usage (by circuit). I am a bit of a geek about our powerusage and energy generation, aspirations of one day doing an off grid house

jackbarron likes this.
  4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Absolutely, obviously including pfm itself. My comments are only to be viewed as an end-user review of the available options for the Pi 4. If I sound frustrated with it it is because it is so nearly amazing, but just fails on things that I thought the world had left behind with Windows 95.

As another example earlier I tried plugging a exFAT format 64GB USB stick into Raspian and it couldn't read it. This is the default format that every modern USB stick ships in, my DVD player can read it, my TV, and obviously my Mac. So, I google, find a site that tells me to do a sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade, and then when that has finished pulling all meaner of junk down to do a sudo apt-get install of both exfat and ex-fat utils. This I do. I then reboot and it does actually see the USB drive, but Raspian is now brain-dead and the file viewer just flickers open for a second and crashes out. It does the same reading the SD card even after removing the USB stick and uninstalling exfat, so basically that install is now a write-off and needs that SD card flattening yet again and starting from scratch. This level of stuff should just bloody work! It is the most basic computer functionality.

PS FWIW I did manage to get it to work on Manjaro XFCE, which again ships without exFAT support, but installing it with pamac install exfat-utils does actually deliver what one would expect! I'm typing this from that install. I'll try again with Raspian later once I've rebuilt the card again, it wasn't an official site that had the instructions so they might be utter bollocks, but I still think this support should be built-in and not something for an end-user to fart about with. It really is basic stuff!

5. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

it isnt really made to be an an end user computer.

claire.foxx likes this.
  6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’d largely agree with that from the hardware perspective, it is in many ways the direct descendant of the BBC B and clearly has multiple uses both in education and the ‘real world’ as did that machine. Even so it remains a very affordable and potentially useful 4GB computer with a pretty powerful four core CPU which is certainly up to doing more than just being a streaming box, NAS or whatever.

I have no issues at all with the Raspberry Pi itself, it is an amazing thing, my feelings are just that the currently available Linux has failed to scale to its potential. With a more stable and friendly OS it could be sold as a ultra-cheap contender to a Mac Mini or whatever, plus be a way of getting folk in the third-world etc online. I love the idea of something this powerful available for £50. I guess my perspective is somewhat different as I’ve been in IT so long, e.g. I remember how much say a DEC Alpha or IBM RS6000 cost, and here we are with a little £50 card that would run rings around either and is genuinely good enough for most folks day to day computing needs were it to have a simple and robust OS.

PS I suspect part of the issue is the Linux community is pretty slow moving and the Pi 4 is a new device and noticeably different/more capable than its predecessors so a lot of development is in its early stages, e.g. Ubuntu Mate isn’t even out for it yet.

7. nickcase

nickcase Enlightened Member

8. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

Regarding the file viewer crapping out on the latest Raspbian release, I had that a couple of days ago.
    Fixed by:
    Code:
    sudo apt full-upgrade

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Thanks, will try that when I next attempt it.

10. garyi

garyi leave blank

I have ropieee running on a pi 4, into a smart dac I got from a nice chap around these parts. everything being delivered as DSD and the pi does not batter an eyelid.

11. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Would it work better with a MS OS, say W7 as W10 has a lot of bloat?
    Is a RPi at £50 a more accomplished thing than the rafts of tablet PCs at similar money? I know these are not geared up to run keyboards etc, but if they were would they be a better proposal?

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

You can only put Windows Internet of Things on it, which isn’t Windows in any real sense. It is a totally different architecture to Intel, so no prospect of porting even though the hardware is powerful and 4GB of RAM a decent amount. Linux or Acorn RiscOS are the only options, and sadly the latter hasn’t seen any real development for decades.

13. Joe

Joe pfm Member

My memory is vague but wasn't there a much cut down version of Windows that was written for "cheap computers for all " in developing countries ?

Would that do the job ?

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

No Windows available for ARM architecture beyond the aforementioned IoT, which isn’t an OS in any real sense.

15. Joe

Joe pfm Member

I did say my memory is vague...I knew that about ARM chips and forgot it.

As an aside ( and almost worthy of its own thread.)

My favourite " shout at the scene in disbelief " moment in a film is in Independence Day where it is possible to fly up to an alien 'mothership' and ,using a Windows laptop , upload a virus into their system. Comedy gold.

But there is a long long list of such moments.

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

IIRC its a terminal window on an Apple Powerbook. UFOs all have a CAT V Ethernet port, everyone knows that!

17. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

Not only that but it was cable TV station engineer that had the knowledge to do this. Let's just say that most of them I've come across in my career wouldn't know where to start :p

18. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

A Pi4 kit costs £115 https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-4-desktop-kit to which you also have to provide a screen and can't run Windows natively however you can buy a Windows 10 tablet/laptop for £90 https://cdn.exponea.com/ebuyer/e/.e...Rr-8wv5gFvM.bKN4SCAS-Xqk9B3IfFa_L9wYh9g/click

The Pi is an educational computer from which someone can learn a lot about how computers work and what they can do other than office work. The standard PC/laptop is an office machine. Games machines are something else and cost a lot more.

Cheers,

DV

19. claire.foxx

claire.foxx Gender Traitor

FYI full Windows 10 for ARM in consumer product (beyond IoT) is a thing. Surface Pro X is a full ARM architecture Windows 10 machine. All OS updates are in line with Windows 10 Intel. It’s for people who really want light low power and mobile LTE usage and stay mostly within the Microsoft compound.

20. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

I suppose it depends on what we believe Windows 10 to be? The Intel versions have the Windows GUI/Desktop running on NT O/S however the ARM LTE machines have something different and without the capabilities of NT. Moving more towards the Apple iThingies direction?

I did get a Win 10 desktop running on a Pi3. It was an utter time consuming pain and so slow that it was unuseable. Thats why I was disappointed that the Pi4 couldn't run Pi3 images and gave up on the idea as life is too short.

Cheers,

DV