1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Things you never see on the used market but would expect to

Discussion in 'audio' started by colasblue, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I'd have to disagree on that.... the cheaper ones are the same sort of crap you get from the likes of Behringer!
    I had a 32 channel one in a few years ago and it was a total nightmare to work on!

2. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Honestly, I’ve had ZED series models as hire stock for years, they’re fully modular meaning you can easily remove one channel strip for repair... not that I’ve actually had to do much besides routine cleaning in the 10 years I’ve been using them. They comprehensively wipe the floor with anything behringer make in every respect. Can’t comment on the Mix Wizard as I’ve never actually opened one up. I owned one briefly but sold it on because I just preferred the ZED models.

Now the budget Yamaha stuff was nasty and I got rid of those very quickly, had one dropped, minimal external damage but the main board which housed all audio circuits, switch gear and socketry, cracked and wrote it off... they sounded a bit shit too so I sold the lot. Other brands I’ve had and gotten rid of include Dynacord, Souncraft and Mackie, but I kept the Allen & Heath ZED desks, they’re affordable, good sounding and reliable, and those discrete channel strips make servicing an absolute doddle. I swear by them, they’ve earned me quite a lot of money and cost me zilch apart from a few cans of contact cleaner in the time I’ve owned them.

3. iansr

iansr pfm Member

I’ve never seen those before, they look cool. They also look as though they are begging to be stacked. Is that a thing with them?

4. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

No!

As to the Myst TMA3, I think its main strength is that it is just the Hitachi circuit and hasn’t been messed about with. Always thought it was a lovely little amp, and the matching tuner was no slouch either.

As to stuff you don’t see, how about Amstrad Tower Systems? No, not hi-fi, but there must have been thousands sold!

5. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

...and thousands sent to landfill.

6. Arkless Electronics

Yep ZED series.... I can't stand them! Cheapo Chinese op amps, pots, caps the lot.... No worse than the others though I guess as they're all crap! People won't pay the price for a mixing desk to be properly built with good quality parts any more ever since the likes of Behringer started making ones whose spec and number of channels would suggest £1000 but were actually like £175 due to the cheap parts and nightmare to service construction. I refuse to work on mixing desks at all these days as no matter what brand or what the fault is it WILL cost more in labour to fix than the price of a replacement! Many are all on one huge PCB and it's a case of "labour to take it apart and reassemble it = £100+ before even looking for the fault"

7. linnfomaniac83

We’ll agree to disagree on this one, mine are 10 years old and have been used week in, week out in that time. They’ve survived all kinds of abuse including spills and are still working perfectly. They’re very easy to work on imho, thanks to their individual channel strips, I wouldn’t even entertain buying something all constructed on one huge PCB, especially after losing a new Yamaha made that way. They’ve been highly profitable and dependable work horses, never had to replace any parts. My GL is better but it’s also much, much more expensive. Sorry, the ZEDs wipe the floor with anything behringer make, and all the reviews confirm that. I’ll keep them until they do eventually die and then probably replace them with QU series desks. Looking at a GLD as my new “best” desk.

With regards to what people will pay, I’ll pay good money for a desk I’m going to use myself... but I’m not going to loan a £3k plus desk for a jam night, way too risky. If someone destroyed a ZED, I’d buy another one and keep the broken one for spares.

In the past, as I said, I’ve had Yamaha (they were awful), Mackie (seemed well made but more complicated than they needed to be and sonically inferior to the ZEDs I owned), Soundcraft (these are okay, still have one), and Dynacord (seem well built and reliable but much more expensive than a ZED and no better sonically).

Above all, A&H products just have a warmth, transparency and liveliness that I and those I’ve loaned them too really like.

8. Minio

Minio pfm Member

So they don't really qualify for the "don't see them these days"

Seven pairs of MA R252s listed on the bay right now.

Can be a bit of a pain to sell this sort of stuff though as it can go as low as £50 and postage is not cheap and you need good packaging.

Amazing speakers though. Can't buy anything new like that for under 4 figures.
    Mine cost £60 and are gorgeous immaculate real walnut.

9. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Kef 109's. Although there are one pair on US E bay right now. Strictly academic, as they're £11k a pair secondhand.

10. Arkless Electronics

Yep we'll agree to disagree! I use a Yamaha here. FWIW I think all affordable mixing desks are basically crap! They can be seen as many full function pre amps with bass, mid, treble, balance and all sorts of switching functions.... now think of 16 such pre amps and you are only paying say £230 for it and imagine the sort of quality you are going to get...

11. linnfomaniac83

Well, the A&H ones are a lot more than £230 but yes. I think they’re great for what they cost. I personally use a GL, I just won’t let it out of my sight. I do use The ZED desks for smaller jobs myself because they’re lighter and easier to carry and they have proven dependable.