1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of Audio Research Ref.6 to replace Naim 252

Discussion in 'audio' started by seadog7, Jul 12, 2019.

1. seadog7

seadog7 Member

Thinking of a change of direction. Recently got a pair of ATC SCM40A actives, sold my Naim 300DR to get them.

Now running NDS/555DR / 252/ Supercap2 DR / ATC SCM40A. The sound is actually very good, but I think a slightly smoother (coloured if you like ) sound of a valve Pre. would compliment my system very well.

Looking very hard at the Audio Research Ref.6 preamp. ( From all accounts the Ref.6 should comfortably best the 252). The logical move to upgrade would be the Naim 552, however where I live the difference in price between a 552 and Ref.6 is massive (Ref.6 almost half the price of the 552).

Anyone done a similar shift ? It will be my first foray into valves.........

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I had a Ref 3 for years. The sound is certainly grainless with what I can only call a ‘creaminess’- ie very pleasant. There was a lot of transparency and very very low noise- really almost silent if you put your ear to the speaker with nothing playing. I took it for granted and only missed it once it was gone.

3. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Only the OP can answer this by listening to the AR. I am hoping to get ATC40s myself to replace 250/SBLs at some point. Have you thought about an ATC pre amp? Not sure I could be bothered with valves.