1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

This Jeffrey Epstein thing...

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ff1d1l, Aug 10, 2019.

1. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

I thought it was quite easy with Andrew, but a skilled liar might prove tricky.

Barrymagrec likes this.
  2. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

I understand the horror of it, were it all true. I have wondered why, if she/they was being abused against her will, she didn't just run home and tell her parents at some point, although it's easier said than done. It does seem significant that the financial compensation and the desire to go public now may be connected, but which came first, only she(and her lawyers) know. The concept of the act is repulsive, the truth elusive and the celebrity involvement the only reason this is being discussed. World wide, right now, guess how many instances of this kind are actually happening as we discuss this? Thousands and thousands. I feel most for those in societies where they are not only powerless, but the act is accepted or even condoned. This world has no right to call itself civilised.

3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

AIUI she was subjected to the same abuse or worse at home, so that wasn't an option. People choose their victims you know. If you want to bully someone you don't start with someone who glares at you and tells you to F Off right from the start, do you?

Of course it is. Why do those who are bullied carry on being bullied, why do people stay in abusive relationships or go on to other abusive relationships, why do people in lousy jobs stay in lousy jobs, etc. I've been in a job I hated, I was doing 60 hours a week, permanently exhausted and hating every minute. When I was in there I couldn't see any way out, that's just the way that it was. After several months and a truly vile individual as a new manager I was shown the door with a cheque, and I immediately went to something better.

Mullardman likes this.
  4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

It is worth bearing in mind the the legal system is very different in the US, money is often used to shut a case down in a way it isn't here. Realistically she has no chance against a wealthy man like Epstein & I can understand why she waited until he was dead.

As I've said many times it is all about power & the abuse of it.

Mullardman likes this.
  5. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

she didn’t wait until he was dead.
    She gave evidence against him in a Florida court in 2015.

6. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

The story on Panorama was a good piece of reporting and I believed what Virginia Roberts said. Her interview took place before the one that Emily Maitlis did with Prince Andrew. I wonder if he got wind of it and decided to get in first?

Jack

7. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

sorry if you meant that ironically, but what do you imagine is protecting andrew here?

8. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

then you don't think people should testify in court either, right?

9. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

On the news a witness has now come forward from the nightclub saying Andrew was there with the young lady. Cant see anything but a scandal coming out of this for Andrew the Royals are well above the law, Lord Lucan .

10. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

In court you get to hear shedloads of evidence, witnesses being cross-examined, and a judge advising on the technical aspects of the law, burden of proof etc, which you don't get from watching a TV interview.

11. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Nothing at the moment since he hasn't yet had to respond to any subpoenas/summonses. Certainly not the press or social channels.

And given the Foreign Office apparent reluctance (or lack of weight) to get the extradition of the lady who killed the liitle boy then fled, anything he does now is likely to be voluntary, and also unlikely to happen me thinks.

I am not sure if Andy is included in the Royal Prerogatives.

12. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

He'd probably get out from under more easily if he just admitted to bedding her but claimed he didn't know she was 17. But he will stick with total denial and obfuscation in the knowledge that many don't care, many will not believe her and many will forget over time. And having no public engagements will probably be a relief. He's not going to starve is he?

13. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

joe.

i though it was supposed to be your shtick to debunk that sort of naive faith in our institutions.

when it comes to war criminals, high level financial fraud or many things involving the wealthy/powerful, we rarely get the court cases we deserve and TV (or other journalism) has to fill in. sometimes it's superficial, other times it's really good (pilger's "the war you don;t see" being a great example).

14. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

It class here rather than Money

15. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

OK, i'll let you leave out the royals living in poverty.

16. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

And as to this last, not all people do. Lots fight to get away. There are 'victims' in life ofc, and we should want them protected as much as possible, but not every celebrity case has those involved, as numerous false cases have proven in the past. This needs to go to court and be fairly heard. Until then. I still see both sides, and I still see that this 'trial' is more about mankind/religion/culture/and a lot more injustices to boot that any one high profile alleged offender. In many ways I wish there were no financial compensation. Just a way to turn back the clock and prevent the thing happening.

apologies for the bad editing...you'll need to fish my answers out...I italicised them but PFM has italicised the lot!

17. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news...ng-out-by-saying-she-looked-18-20191125191141

18. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Relative to Epstein PA is a pauper. It is the establishment that will save him here.

19. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

None of the Royal family are going to admit that Andrew put his pen in an inkwell of some one possibly younger than his daughters and she is very unlikely to receive a Royal bunk up warrant. This will be quietened down I suspect and with little damage to the queen.

He will not be invited to take a lie detector test ,we are judge and jury anyway and where is Jeremy Kyle when you need him.

Perhaps he will end up as chief honcho of some pacific island with female elders (80 years plus) to provide his birth rights and appropriate levels of servitude never ever to be heard of again.

20. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

If you mean the woman who killed the motor cyclist she is protected.
    The US Govt said she has immunity as far as they are concerned.
    End of.
    And Andrew has no more protection in law than you or I.