1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

This Jeffrey Epstein thing...

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ff1d1l, Aug 10, 2019.

1. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

No, it would be the NCA who would do that sort of thing in criminal matters.

2. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

OK. do you figure they don't know where she is?

3. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Don't know, have you tried asking them.

4. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

but you're the know-it-all here ;-)

5. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

What I mean is that this is an American thing, and the guy is dead. The CIA or MI5/MI6 deal with threats to national security, terrorism, organised crime, international finance stuff, etc. Why would they be given a brief to track down a woman who is a key witness in a case of relatively minor importance in which the presumed perpetrator is dead. The main reason the papers, and PFM is interested would seem to be Andrew's involvement. More a journalistic scandal that a security issue.

6. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

paul.

this was organized and international, with possible ties to foreign intelligence, not to mention sex trafficking of girls. it's not a minor case.

7. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Yes, I find the idea of someone as high profile and internet dependent as GM going ‘dark’, a little difficult to fathom.

8. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

Or the remit.

9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Exactly. You beat me to it. The work of the Intelligence Services is governed by various acts, for example, the Intelligence Services Act 1994 which sets out the powers and remit of the various security services (MI5, MI6, GCHQ). Essentially, if it ain't related to national security, it probably won't be covered. There's an argument which can be made that some serious, organised, transnational crime is a threat to national security and therefore the spooks can get involved, but otherwise, they can't. And, AIUI, they don't tend to stray beyond their remit, because sooner or later doing so could be held against them.

The crimes of Epstein and the alleged crimes of GM are awful, reprehensible and serious, but not in the sense that they stray into the realm of threats to national security.

flatpopely likes this.
  10. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Does it matter? The charge is that she procured girls for sex. She has to answer those charges. The idea that she can’t be found to answer those charges, or that it’s someone else’s remit to find her is wrong. The allegations against her are criminal in nature, she could and should be found and answer those questions

11. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

EDIT: My point was just to answer the question about who was investigating her rather than the wider issues.

ks.234 likes this.
  12. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

She might be somewhere that won’t extradite people.
    You know, like the States.

13. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

We could make it a condition of our trade deal with them...

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and TheDecameron like this.
  14. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

I understand the shock-horror-outrage-indignation aspect, but realistically the alleged crimes she may be guilty of are not, in the overall scheme of things, really that serious. I would not be surprised if much of what she is alleged to have done is not even a crime.

15. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

She was staying in Manchester by the Sea but has probably moved on. It's not the crime it's what she witnessed that will be of interest.

16. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

i imagine you don't know very much about the case. she was (allegedly) a recruiter for epstein, ffs.

ks.234 likes this.
  17. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

The allegation is that Maxwell recruited the girls.

18. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

I was aware of that, Vuk. But to recruit pretty girls for rich men is not in itself a crime. Happens all the time. You can't expect intelligence agencies to go after her as if she was running the biggest terrorist movement since Al Queda. Would you want her "taken out" with a drone strike?
    It is a tabloid gossip-scandal. Perhaps some laws were broken, perhaps not. But there are a lot more serious things happening in the world.

19. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

A major question concerns the morality and actions of Prince Andrew. He appears to be deliberately staying away from American justice and the FBI, so the chances are we will never properly find out. Meanwhile the reputation of the UK's royalty tumbles even further.

Jack

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    ks.234 likes this.
  20. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Maxwell is undoubtedly suspected of being involved in serious crimes and the suggestion that the sorts of crimes are somehow minor or not worthy of investigation or just rich guys and attractive young women is offensive. We are talking trafficking, sexual abuse, rape, both directly and as part of a conspiracy. But these things take time.

Also recall that prior to Epstein's death Maxwell was probably the person investigators were trying to flip. That will have changed now and she becomes much more of a direct target.

kensalriser, vuk, Alex S and 3 others like this.