1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiger paw - skale

Discussion in 'audio' started by david ellwood, Jul 30, 2012.

1. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Had a cursory listen and it shows promise so am having a proper listen tonight

They have only just had the cash out of me for the blinking khan!

Will let you know how I get on..

2. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer pfm Member

From The Sound Org by any chance as David said he would try it out?

Richard

3. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

So........... how much is it?

4. Warren Day

Warren Day pfm Member

I found the sKale resolved even more clarity than the Khan - after extensive comparisons at Cymbiosis. It's £200.

5. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

Bit steep for a counterweight.

6. Warren Day

Warren Day pfm Member

Not for the amount of detail it reveals, which is more than the more expensive Khan reveals.

"you can take any product, break it down into its raw constituents and complain that it costs hardly anything to make. A human being is probably worth, what - $20.50, if you broke it down into its chemical constituents, some carbon here, some calcium there, lots of water and accumulated preservatives? How much does it cost to gain knowledge? The time and effort that go into products is what contributes to their final cost." Caelin Gabriel

7. david ellwood

David has indeed tried it out and I heard it at his and was impressed.

he popped over to mine last night for fish pie and we gave the skale a good work out.

It was certainly an improvement in many areas but not as definitive and massive as the khan.

I did not have the counterweight right up against the bearing so was probably not getting the last drop of performance from it.

it certainly gives an increase in detail but also time for musical events to happen in. It sounds unhurried and unflappable.

complex rhythmic passages make more sense and it certainly has a more HIFI presentation.

There was something I still liked about the standard ekos counterweight but this may come good with adding another washer to the skale and spending more time getting the tracking weight absolutely spot on.

Its really well made and looks great on the deck. I will be getting one once they are available.

8. david ellwood

oh and I love the tin it comes in!

9. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

Yes I like the tin too! :cool: Good for your old weight or jelly beans perhaps!

Glad you like sKale. :)

David, what cartridge are you running?

Regards, Mark

10. Nic P

Nic P pfm Member

Although I now ignore all the subjectivist / objectivist arguments on pfm I would be interested in the answer to the following question from a very modern manufacturer. What is the balance between science/engineering design and subjective tweaking in products such as the sKale and Khan?

Nic P

11. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

There is some science, some sound principals and common sense.

We listen exhaustively to our products as we refine them.

We only release them when we are confident they make an improvement.

We pick the recipe that sounds best.

That of course is a little subjective but so is this hobby of ours.

I believe listening is the only way to do it, bit old skool and very time consuming.

We have four LP12s we can pitt against each other in various set ups.

12. david ellwood

I am running an arkiv b

13. Nic P

Nic P pfm Member

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply so fully, I found your answer very interesting.

Thanks again

Nic P

14. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer pfm Member

I must give it a dem and will go see David about it.

Richard