1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Time for a motorbike list

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rasher, Jun 4, 2012.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

While out cycling in Northumberland this weekend I saw a bike I didn't recognise. I only saw it from the rear. It was in a sort of Bobber style and had a distinctive polished ally swinging arm, which was clearly longer than most and very visible. It didn;t disappear behind the bodywor the way a lot do. It was something like a 53 plate and had the engine note of a big single or maybe a V twin.

Any clues?

2. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Husqvarna 701?

Pete

3. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Not many bikes have polished alloy as standard. You sure it looked standard? Bobber style bikes of that vintage, I cannot recall any.

4. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

I had a CRM 250AR in Thailand in 2001. Also imported in bits and rebuilt, no plate, no insurance. Got it from Red Baron for about a grand. It was only 2 years old. Well dodgy.

I also had a DRZ400 frame ringed in Phnom Phen to match a reg doc I had in Thailand before I rode it back to Bangkok! At the border it was like going back 500 years. Horse and carts full of fruit and veg everywhere. Police on either side of the barriers seemingly ignoring the chaos. I just closed my eyes and rode on through without stopping. Baaarrppp, baaaaarp, baaaaaaaarp.

Ah they were the days

5. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

No, not as tall as a Husky. It was a low slung thing, you could see into the gap between the swinging arm and the seat.

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Hard to say when you are doing 15mph amd he blows by at 65. I wasn't in a position to give chase. It didn't look obviously custom,if that makes sense. Just that long swinging arm was strange, make it look a bit like the sprint/hillclimb bikes that you get.

7. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

Polished Swing arm screams Vrod to me:

http://www.onlinemotorsports.com/de...iv-vrsca_anniversary_v~rod-used-12860767.html

.. bobber style, perhaps the Muscle ?

https://www.riversideharley.com/models-overview/v-rod-line/2015-v-rod-muscle/

8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

No, sorry. It had monoshock rear suspension or similar, no twinshocks evident.

9. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Indeed, the Wild East.

Bought mine in Chiang Mai and had to ride it home across the mountain road to Pai, known for its 100 hairpin bends. First time on anything bigger than a scooter, no helmet and an Italian Glaswegian on his 250 alongside.

Still get shivers thinking about it.

10. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

11. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

You know, maybe that 701, if you painted the underside of the seat silver, might look like what I remember. It would mean the swing arm and underseat area looked like one solid item. I suspect that there might have been a couple of custom bits on it. Still not sure.

13. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

mistake.. sorry

14. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Bikes:
    1949 Norton Model 18 500cc OHV 'bobber'
    1955 Ariel (68 Bonnie motor) cafe racer
    1972 Triumph Chop (68 Bonnie motor)
    1988 Sportster (2001 Buell Lightning motor) flat tracker
    1976 Shovelhead 'custom swingarm bobber'
    1974 FX Shovelhead (classic)
    Current ride
    1950 Panhead FL mid 60's show bike style

Either built or rebuilt by me.

15. Dougunn

Dougunn pfm Member

Still on one of these . . .

[​IMG]

I wish it was as clean as this one though!

Doug

16. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Distributor and Manufacturer

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  17. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

That's two seriously eclectic sets of track records there.
    Excellent taste in bikes gentlemen :)

@Darren L - "1988 Sportster (2001 Buell Lightning motor) flat tracker"

That sounds an interesting thing - any pics, or any more information on that machine ?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    G T Audio and Darren L like this.
  18. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Thanks @-alan- I think I have one pic of it, I'm not sure how to post on here but I could email you tHe pic.

It was a basic 88 sporty frame, front end had progressive springs, stock hub but stainless spokes and alloy rim, the top end had been ported and polished, it had an S&S Super E carb and Supertrapp 2-1 race pipe, stock oil tank, alloy fuel tank with aircraft filler, flat track fibre glass seat base and lightweight sub frame, the rear wheel was rebuilt using stainless spokes and wider 17" alloy rim to allow stickier tyres, rear shocks were progressive suspension.
    Loud, fast, uncomfortable and great fun, especially from the lights!

19. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

Ah - that sounds a helluva lot of fun :)

I've had a half-baked notion about building a flat-tracker for about the last 20 years, but - and no-pun intended - keep getting sidetracked by easier options like buying another bike.
    Yes - I'd love to see a pic, I'll pm you over an email address, thanks :)

20. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

As we are discussing crap old motorbikes...