1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Time for prog rockers to come out of the closet

Discussion in 'music' started by louballoo, May 31, 2010.

1. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Are/Were Druids Prog? :D

Stephen

2. stephen bennett

That's very good. Now lets tackle Pop.

We're on the way to a PFM 'genre definitions' Wiki. :D

Stephen

3. stephen bennett

Vincent Gallo, he ain't wear no cape - but he does have a beard. From the excellent Buffalo 66. From about 1:31 (Not Safe for Work!) Also features Crimson.

[YOUTUBE]3E-646ph9AQ[/YOUTUBE]

Stephen

4. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

Were, are, and will be is the answer.

5. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

6. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Pop = music that prog fans sneer at, while everyone else sneers at them.

7. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

Some of the finest music ever made was unashamedly Pop. Eg....

The Hollies - "I Can't Let Go"
    Paull Revere & The Raiders - "Him Or Me".
    All of the Beatles pre '66 singles

I rest my case.

Chris

8. stephen bennett

Agree with that, anyhow.

However, I'm a Prog fan and I love and make pop music! :D

Same goes for Howard jones, Thomas Dolby, Phil Oakey, Roland Orzabal etc, etc.....

Hah!

Steophen

9. Lieberung

Lieberung pfm Member

Probably

10. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

It all depends on what band was playing at the Stonehenge free festival when the sun rose on midsummer's day.

One year in the mid-70s the band sounded like Neu, which isn't Prog and is definitely better than it. A number of the Druids were dancing.

Jamie Reid, the artist behind The Sex Pistols, is a Druid and comes from a family of them. My guess is that he thinks Never Mind The Prog Bollocks.

Jack

11. taz

taz pfm Member

I Have had a rather mixed bag music wise ever since I was young, with my father a trained singer and preacher I was brought up on Hymns and "church music" as I like to call it.
    requiemes and the like have always had a place in my collection, going from that to the "new age" music that became popular in the 80's thanks to the "Windham Hill" label such artists as George Winston and the like really did get played a lot and now I love Einaudi (SP) I always love listening and watching kings collage singing choir on Christmas eve and it has become part of a Christmas ritual almost. And yet being A biker/Rocker much of my chill out music falls on deaf ears to many of my friends :rolleyes:
    Infact I would say that female Vocalists and of them many Irish female vocalist such as Mary Black, Sinead O'conner, delores etc along with the likes of sarah mclachlan (spelling is all to crap sorry) are my favourite types of easy listening which I play an awful lot, in fact I don't play much rock music at home unless it's computer based, mp3, utube video tracks as I have a secondary TV/AV streaming with 5.1 surround sound for when I just can't be arsed with my hifi system and a huge library on computer and HDD's.
    I think my first classical album as such I bought was Carl Orff's Carmina Burana which I loved because it was such a powerful and emotive Album :cool: .
    I now have several classical albums and several "boxed sets" which cover most of my favourite classical music. I also enjoy some operatic stuff as well.
    The funny thing is that imho this type of music really does need a decent hifi setup if you are to do it any justice, playing Handel's Messiah on a cheap hifi sounds bloody awful and yet it is a stunning piece of music :D
    I guess music has been my biggest love since I was a kid, I don't follow any particular group or gendra I just know what I like,and what I dislike, I can't stand 99% of rap, c&w, reggea, drum & bass, garage, but just because I don't like it doesn't mean they are all crap and I can't stand it when people say somethings crap just because they don't like it :rolleyes: