1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tom Evans microgroove vs tron convergence

Discussion in 'audio' started by pit, May 21, 2019.

1. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

All phono stages are sensitive to proximity to transformers.

G T Audio likes this.
  2. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Even more so in plastic sleeves. Though they do have big old copper clad ground planes shielding them in the anni.

3. mjw

mjw pfm Member

Never heard any Tom Evans stuff but I did once own Simon’s superb Paradise. Because I’m away so much (and it wasn’t getting used so seemed such a waste) I sold it to someone more deserving than I. To ‘put me on’ I took a punt on a used Convergence and it’s very impressive at any price - a steal at its asking price and subjectively 80-90% of the Paradise’s capability.
    A fellow forum member (also a Paradise owner) who came round for a listen concurs. As has been mentioned, unimpeachable build quality is part of the attraction, also usability. I’m assured by GT that its valve can be had off the shelf in any guitar shop for reasonable money if it ever pops.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I had one ( a beautiful Ed Meitner preamp )that picked up taxi control when a black cab passed my flat in EdinR in the late 80s.

5. Arkless Electronics

Totally unconnected to sensitivity to transformer proximity.... but yes it can happen and more so in the past when there were no EU rules that gear must not be sensitivity to this. Usually happens to SS rather than valve gear...

6. sq225917

And mostly because we dont use xlrs to provide full and proper shielding of tonearm signal wires.

7. Arkless Electronics

Eh? No need for that....

Dis those op amps arrive?

8. sq225917

Yes, they did thanks. Not quite as sweet in the treble but maybe more nuanced in the bass.

9. RossB

RossB Member

I've used a number of phono stages and amplifiers over the last few years. I had high expectations for the 912 and 890, which I bought by reputation. I had previously owned an EAR 324 phono stage which I thought was an awful sounding phono, and tried the 88PB which also hadn't impressed me much, but for some reason I thought the 912 and 890 would be better. I kept them for about a year, tried valiantly to like them, but ultimately found the EAR amps rather dry sounding and balanced on the cooler end of the spectrum. I really didn't like them and was happy to move them on. I also had the EAR DAC 4 which lasted only briefly because it really was an ordinary sounding DAC. The only EAR kit I retain is the HP4 headphone amp because that does sound very good, and better than other tube headphone amps I have heard.

Otherwise, I have gone back fully to solid state, with an Ayre AX5 Twenty amp and Einstein phono stage. I've been through a lot of tube gear over the years and have always preferred solid state. The only tube kit I have been able to get on with is Audio Note and Tron. I still retain a Tron linestage and phono stage, and at some point I may try one of the Tron power amps. Unfortunately, for me, most of the EAR gear I have heard captures the worst aspects of both tubes and solid state. You've obviously had the opposite experience with EAR, which of course is perfectly fine, showing (as always) that personal preference plays a massive part in all of this.

Mike Reed likes this.
  10. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

When it comes to phono stages, room acoustics and speakers etc impact very little on my ability make a judgement. There are so many mediocre and poor ones out there. Sometimes with amplifiers it can take me half an hour to get the hang of their strengths and weaknesses but a phono stage takes just a track or two. Cramped little soundstage/ boring and mechanical / lots of fine detail missing/ background noise etc. For me it boils down to resolution of fine detail and timbre, special cues etc. If that stuff is missing, it’s an immediate ‘no’ within minutes or seconds, no matter how foot tapping or ‘musical’ someone tells me it is. A duff phono stage can ruin a large investment in a fine record player.

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member