1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tone Poet Blue Notes

Discussion in 'music' started by poco a poco, Feb 26, 2019.

1. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

I need to check my emails. Tempting, but I have already spent (overspent) about £450 this month on Tone Poets, BN80's and some good SH early pressings. I sort of have a self imposed limit of £40 an individual record that it would breach, plus I have very good (probably not as good) copies of two these and reasonable copies of 5 others.

2. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Decca is the UMG front-line label that looks after Universal's Jazz imprints - Blue Note & Verve

3. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

Hermit I have just had another listen and you are right at almost exactly 75 seconds not just the cymbals, although these are being hit most, but it seems to me the whole drum kit disappears for 8 seconds. It seems very strange, as Graham correctly suggests dropouts are common on old tape masters, but I'm not sure it is a drop out as I can't hear any change around it. Multitrack recording came in in 1955, but was not very much used especially for Jazz recordings till the 1970's when time code synchronisation came in. Usually not more than three tracks were used for Jazz recordings before that and therefore I would have expected to hear something of a dropout on the piano or bass as well. Perhaps Roy Haynes just stopped playing for 8 seconds?

Anyone else who has this want to comment. I only 'lurk' on Steve Hoffman, not post. I have not seen any comment on this there, but if someone wants to then maybe Joe Harley will reply? Anyway well spotted. I'll keep hearing it now, but I'll try not to let it bother me.:confused::rolleyes:

hermit likes this.
  4. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

Yes, they're in my Qobuz favourites :)

5. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

6. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

Tell me about it..... :D

7. hermit

hermit pfm Member

To me it doesn't sound like he just stopped playing. It just doesn't sound natural or clean and the image appears to shift a little to the right.

8. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

No I didn't really think he stopped playing as it would be odd to stop his tap, tap on the cymbals just for about 8 seconds and then start up again. I'm still not sure about a drop out, but that seems the most likely explanation.

9. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

I was hoping to find the one I'm hovering about, Lou Donaldson, Mr Shing-a-Ling there at a price good enough to make me risk it, but I can't seem to see that one among the Lou Donaldson that come up on a search.

10. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Clubhouse and face to Face due to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully that’s it for a month or so.

11. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Like you, I held off waiting for a better price. Last week,I bought it here:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/offer-listing/B07P6NCXY2/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I have a delivery date of 9th July.

12. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

Thanks Theo, I'll probably go with it at that price. I brought contours from Amazon Fr at about that. Strange though that Dodax that is based in Switzerland and who usually are on UK Amazon Market Place cheaper are not there with these Tone Poets. Probably some tacit agreement to keep us Brits paying more?

13. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

I had a quick look at .fr earlier so is it just a click and buy as normal? Any odd postage charges to be aware of or anything and do you buy from the actual Amazon site or one of the cheaper third party sellers?

14. Theo

Theo pfm Member

No 'odd' charges. Amazon.fr charged me €3.40 for p&p, as did Dodax.

scotty38 likes this.
  15. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

My copies of Dexter Gordon - Clubhouse and 'Baby Face' Willette - Face to Face have just arrived from Amazon nicely packaged in mailers and double boxed. Beautiful gatefold sleeves and usual clean and flat vinyl. Just got to find sometime to give them a spin.

16. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

Collected Mr Shing a Ling today. I could do without Shadow of Your Smile, but the rest of it lives up to expectation in typical Rare Groove style. Fantastic pressing and sound. Drums sound amazing. Looking forward to Alligator Boogaloo which - from what I’ve heard so far - is possibly the more interesting session.

17. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Listening to Clubhouse by Dexter Gordon and it’s another stunning release. The sonics are, as expected, excellent.

18. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Having now listened to all of Clubhouse I’d say it’s possibly the best sounding of the Tone Poet releases. The dynamics are fantastic and the sax so natural sounding - particularly on the slower tracks where it’s more exposed.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  19. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

It's the only one of this series I have at the minute so good to know I've peaked :) I listened to it last night and, whilst I'm not a jazz expert, it sounded bloody marvellous to me...

Stunsworth likes this.
  20. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

From what I can gather over at Hoffman, Joe Harley auditions tapes to ensure they are technically still up to the mark for TP release.Some titles have been rejected. Anyhow, Face to Face is on its way to me, should be here Monday. Looking fwd to that one (although I think I say that every time......). Glad to hear Clubhouse is excellent.