1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tools to pull apart a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Nero, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Nero

Nero BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK

In this enforced spare time, I've decided to replace the rattly right hand speaker on my MacBook Pro 2012 Retina that I've been putting up with for the last couple of years. I took a look at the screws on the bottom, and assumed they were Torx, but it seems they have five points, not six. I've not come across these before - is there a name for them?

TIA

2. Nero

ah Pentalobe? Could that be it? Would make sense

3. Joe

Joe pfm Member

4. Nero

Thanks. The Brazilian river seems to have some kits. Let's hope they are the right size

5. matt j

matt j pfm Member

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Those 5 point affairs sometimes find their way into inexpensive security bit sets, which are handy in a variety of jobs.

7. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

8. chartz

chartz pfm Member

I have recently replaced the screen to motherboard loom on mine (black screen), it opens easily when you have the pentalobe screwdriver. Piece of cake. Beware, there are two smaller screws on one side.

Nero and Tony Lockhart like this.