1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Trio/Kenwood - outer periphery ring DS-20

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Theo, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Hello all

Long shot: would anyone here have one that they were willing to move on? Or know somebody who has one?

Let me know.

Many thanks
    Theo

2. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

Theo,
    I don't have one for my L-07D either, but I have seen them in use years ago. I assume you just want to use it below the record as you use the AT vacumb platter mat. Can be a problem if used on top with centering or catching the stylus. Richard of Vantage did make some replacements so there may be a few of these around even though he is no longer in business. Probably best to post buy request on the Yahoo L-07D group. I thought you were a member there?

Jim

3. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Thanks Jim. I used to have one (not the Vantage model) but foolishly sold it on along with a couple of cartridges when I was attempting a clear out. I have the Kenwood ceramic mat, and the periphery ring/ceramic top was certainly a contrast to the Vacuum Mat. I just wanted to have these options available again: both approaches have their merits, and do afford a different presentation.

PS. I do have a spare vacuum mat, so would happily look at a part ex option.

4. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

Theo,
    I obviously I do not know about the vacuum mat presentation as I don't have one. I do use a Ringmat Anniversary that I prefer over a record direct on the SS platter with a centre weight. A long time ago, but my feeling about DS-20 (Richards version) under the record was it did not make any difference as the speed stability of the L-07D is so good anyway. On top Possibly on warped records, but too fiddly for me (as above). I suppose I wouldn't mind having an original though as well as the ceramic platter you have just to be completist. :) I have everything else including the original cloth cover.

As you probably know a new L-07D owner who has been in touch with both of us about the L-07D is also looking for a DS-20 as well. Ho and I think you need to check before you buy as I think I heard of some of them becoming distorted with handling / (bad?) use over time.

5. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Hi Jim
    Yes, we've been in correspondence.

The original DS-20 can get 'bashed' (I saw one advertised in Russia that had obviously been used as a frisbee, yet still went for daft money). Also, it's not a speed stability thing: I remember the soundstage being far more solid with the outer platter in place, but with a slight loss of 'air' (if that makes sense). Pros & cons. Still want one though :)

6. ellamoo

ellamoo pfm Member

Ex LO7D owner here from when they first were launched. Did not feel the ring added anything unless to enable seriously warped record to be played. Vacuum device worked better but there was a danger of crap getting sucked into the records grooves.

Theo likes this.
  7. topoxforddoc

topoxforddoc pfm Member

How about asking Speedy Steve at Magna Audio on AoS to make you one? He seems to be a whizz at machining new armboards, weights etc from wood or metal.

8. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Hi - yes, that was how I remembered it. I've also been unscrupulous about cleaning the underside of recored before vacuum clamping.

Still want one though :)

9. Theo

Theo pfm Member

That's good idea - thank you!

10. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Contacted Magna - not something they can help me with.

Anybody?

11. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Wow, this got to page 3 quickly...

Start of the weekend bump :)

12. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Doesn't have to be an original Trio/Kenwood model: one of the Vantage repros would be fine.