1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Trump Part 12

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Gaius, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ciunas Audio

Ciunas Audio Trade: Ciunas Audio

AFAIK, QE creates the illusion of extra money in the system

2. Ciunas Audio

Apparently, the steam is part of a triple energy system - it can be converted in premises into electricity, heating or cooling - clever in its day but Verizon's Nitrogen cylinders on street corners would not be acceptable in most cities

3. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

It's not an allusion -- QE literally creates money (as in cash) which was used to buy Assets (mostly UK government debt) off financial institutions. The idea was that cash was more liquid than bonds so it would be lent and then invested / spent. It was an attempt to stimulate the economy at a time when interest rates were at zero.

You can (and I did) argue that it would have been more effective to give it directly to people rather than banks but vague mutterings about some dark purpose are very common and not particularly useful.

4. Ciunas Audio

Yes the illusion of FIAT money is beguiling. Money which is not based on a tangible asset like gold is thought to be the cause of much of the financial crises we have suffered in the last 10 years & QE is just another trick/illusion to keep the whole magic show going. But then what would I know?

maxflinn likes this.
  5. maxflinn

maxflinn This Week I Am Max Kofi Annan!

6. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Only by a small number of essentially mental people.

vuk and Still like this.
  7. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

So you throw around the word "mental" to dismiss people who hold ideas you disagree with. How very unpleasant of you.

8. maxflinn

9. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

It's not about disagreeing, it is about people who are fundamentally wrong about how money works but are prepared to throw around ignorant ideas. There are other words apart from mental to describe them, but they are even less flattering.

10. Ciunas Audio

I'm willing to learn but try to keep the insults to a minimum & post something informative

To an Orange Anus the world looks like a shithole but you don't shit on your own doorstep (or your bestest buddy's doorstep)

kennyh likes this.
  11. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

12. maxflinn

Russian media is an enemy of the Neocons, as is Putin. The Neocons are an enemy of humanity.

Watch this video from Jimmy Dore. It is quite incredible what the ruling elites in your country are getting away with. It's actually beyond Orwellian at this point.

They've just voted in Congress to pass a bill allowing the US government to spy on anybody, any US citizen without needing a warrant.

Just think about the implications of this. And a bunch of Democrats including Nancy Pelosi voted for it, to give the Trump administration the power to spy on absolutely anybody without needing a warrant:

13. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

Everyone uses money every day, but who really understands it? Very few, it is a vastly complex subject eg just deciding what constitutes money would keep most economists up all night - look up money supply definitions and try to get your head around the differences. Your statement about money not being based on a tangible asset was completely wide of the mark, but I was not meaning to be insulting. Apologies.

14. Ciunas Audio

Not a problem - I was really thinking about the dollar being tied to gold reserves back in the 70s so there were limits on it's supply
    Sure, money is a difficult concept - it's purely a token - crypto-currencies bring this into sharp focus

15. kendo

kendo gloominati

There's a McDonalds in Vauxhall. What's his problem?

16. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

prices are too high -- obama failed to secure a good deal.

17. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

it will be interesting (and frustrating) to see if trump can manage 4 years (if he last that long) without exposing himself to a hostile (normal) crowd. he's such a little coward for not throwing the opening pitch at the 2017 MLB season opener. that's just the kind f thing fox news and watchers would never, ever forgive a democratic president for!

18. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

Recent commentary on an American board about today's sex-star payoff news (quoted here in its entirety):

19. Yank

Except it was Shrub who did that deal...

20. Yank

He did go to a college football championship game last week. But it was in the south, where he was in politically safe territory, so there were only a few hundred people booing him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.