1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Trump Part 16

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Yank, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

2. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

those who are all of a sudden embracing justice democrat AOC, recruited thanks to kyle kulinski, first need to apologize to max -- and then apologize again. you need to say "thank you max" without the irony.

into year 3 of this presidency, it sure is looking like slavoj zizek was right: trump needed to happen for anything to really change. chomsky was wrong for the first time in 90 years. a clinton presidency would have set real progress back another 8 years.

marky, do you really not know who mark wahlberg is or are you playing the sort of social media irony game you claim to find so repulsive?

elizabeth warren getting massive cheers this weekend to "class warfare" rhetoric is the most remarkable thing i have seen in american politics in my entire life. i was actually impressed by her well before the political career began -- thanks to a PBS documentary on the credit card racket. if she's not genuine, then nobody is. perhaps not radical enough for you (boybander), but she is certainly not a centrist, incrementalist or opportunist.

the green new deal doesn't have to be a perfect plan. in fact, it's pretty much impossible to have a perfect plan -- what matters right now is to try something and build on that. after having lived pretty much all my life under the trickle down deal -- which i knew at age 14 was economically and morally flawed -- i'll take a chance on this, even if it's just a way for us to regain some human dignity and attempt to clean our rooms .

3. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

english is not my first language and i'm possibly having an idiosyncratic struggle with your prose: to my foreign mind, it's like a bernard-henri lévy translation performed by the david duchovny character in "californication".

the precise extent of his influence is unknown to both of us, unless you claim to have had a close personal relationship with AOC -- in which case, i would be seriously jealous, but still skeptical. this is mind-reading realm. that said, it doesn't really matter. if she is not feigning her beliefs and proposing legitimate progressive policy, i don't see what the problem is.

how has he failed?

i watch kulinski and cenk uygur (young <jive> turks) fairly regularly and they report frequently on the justice dem candidates. some are better than others and i don't see big problems overall, especially with the non-corporate fund-raising model and overall populism (which is actually a great thing).

can you post some references here? i am not dismissing what you say, just haven't come across it.

this is one of those californication moments where i possibly misinterpret intent.

huh? i hate the two party system and genuinely despise both parties. i simply have a tiny bit of hope the democrats can be hijacked the way republicans were by the tea party, but i would prefer a third option and, most of all, ranked choice voting.

i think you may have been responding to joe here. i was a jill stein supporter.

actually, i prefer old people in just about everything cultural and have a great deal of contempt for the young, but that's just a useful heuristic, not a rule. AOC and bernie sanders are not very far apart in policy and i support both. maybe i should point out here, that i would like to see way, way more, but this is a very backward nation, so we have to keep it real.

mind reading failure.

so, bernie or warren (former harvard prof)?

californication monologue again.

well, she's already thrown a kettle over a pub -- more than once. what have you (or obama) done?

i will watch the full interview.

EDIT: watched it. not sure what your point is. rather outstanding for an early interview. she is even better now.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 6:54 AM
    droodzilla likes this.
  4. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Given that as far as I can tell Max never apologised for Trump I think you will find few takers there.

5. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Agree 100%. Although I fear she cannot win against Pence.

Yes. At this point just the phrase "Green new deal" rather than the details is what is important.

6. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Between climate change and loss of biodiversity we don’t have much time to waste to right the ship.

FFS, any course correction has to be a good thing, especially when the Trumpian alternative is full steam ahead into the iceberg or pointy rocks just off the bow.

Joe

7. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

I've discovered this excellent essay on why us British dislike Trump -

"Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?" Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England wrote this magnificent response.

"A few things spring to mind.

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.

For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.

So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever.

I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.

But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.

And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface.

Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.

Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.

Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that.

He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat.

He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.

That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
    * Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
    * You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.

After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.

He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.

In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:

'My God… what… have… I… created?

If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set".

Nick_G, DonQuixote99, Hook and 12 others like this.
  8. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Don't forget that at least half of all Americans see him this way too.

SteveS1 and Suffolk Tony like this.
  9. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

That's perfect - thanks for that.

10. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

The Shakespeare of shit...

11. billo

billo pfm Member

I hear a National Emergency has been declared, I am hoping* that it not only gives POUS extra powers but others in the ruling bodies as well

*always the optimist

12. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Trump is a National Emergency.

Darmok likes this.
  13. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Obviously fed up with May topping the Idiot Leader publicity charts for a few days.

14. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

I'm not sure why I commented either, but I think a big difference is I know when to quit. And that time would be now.

My sincerely honest viewpoint is that there will be no solace or solution forthcoming from within a system that created the situational uncertainty many of us currently feel. And for the simple fact that the uncertainty is by design; it increasingly mimics a model of what has been termed 'Inverted Totalitarianism', a state whereby a citizenry conditioned by a worsening democratic political representation, driven by individualism and fragmented by uncertainty, expends energy like a collective addict seeking political stability over civic engagement and thereby cedes control to the state. A kinder fascism to nurse a cultural cancer.

Wilson likes this.
  15. wacko

wacko pfm Member

They shot Abraham Lincoln, the Kennedys, Martin Luther King, Sam Cooke and John Lennon and they can't get Trump/Pence ?

16. Darmok

Darmok Child of Tama

The PTB have decided pence has to stick around long enough to await Rapture, drumpf will get his comeuppance in due course, imv.

martin clark likes this.
  17. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Problem is, the shooters are, by and large, his base.

sean99 likes this.
  18. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

Most who would really like to shoot him are smart enough to know the reaction could mean civil war, of uncertain outcome.

19. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

“Making Nixon look trustworthy and Dubya look smart” indeed.

Must say the classless scorn for a war hero like McCain, the “avoiding tax is smart” boast, or backing foreign governments against his own security services are things I never thought I’d see play well for any politician in the US.

I wouldn’t want any form of martyrdom for him, I’m hoping that when disgrace comes it’s the whole nine yards. Money laundering, tax avoidance, draft dodging, treasonous assistance to Putin, pissing hookers the lot.

I can dream.

20. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member