1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Trump Part 16

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Yank, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Darmok

Darmok "A Priori Teleology."

I don't have an issue with Bernie.

I know he is an honest and decent politician, as for his wealth, it is a significant sum but not substantial as compared to others in American politics.

If I were to be on your side of the pond, he would get my vote most certainly!

vuk likes this.
  2. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Quite. I did wonder at the references to no collusion, which were also quickly jumped on and scotched by the judge.

3. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

Good judges are the main check and balance against bad lawyers. We all should pay more attention to judge elections.

4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The part I find amazing is that a politician can pardon criminal convictions and if Trump pardons Manafort for massive tax evasion, what does that say to “the little people” in Leona Helmsley’s parlance?

5. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

Executive clemency is a good 'safety valve' for the system in unusual circumstances, seems to me. Of course like anything it can be abused.

6. tones

tones Tones deaf

7. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^^ very interesting.

8. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

I knew someone years ago who was a huge proponent of eugenics, mostly in terms of not mixing races. They were also anti-Semitic, borderline racist (careful what they said is more accurate), and exhibited insufferable double-standards that they blithely applied to anything and anyone. Having said that, America has perfected historical whitewashing of this and other seedy topics of its heritage.

But then there are worse things. Such as every time someone on the net types ‘ya’, ‘actually’ or ‘basically’ civilization edges closer to extinction.

9. mykel

mykel Perpetual Hack

10. Romulus

Romulus pfm Member

In England now in the 'spoken language' nearly everyone (including media) says "I was sat there or we or they were sat there" instead of the correct grammer "I was sitting there or we or they were sitting there" so the English language in England is on the brink of extinction. I wonder if Americans in USA say the correct way, if they do then that will be one big turnaround where the English speak incorrect English and the Americans speak correct English!

11. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

I hear 'I was sat' when the speaker is emphasizing that another person was acting to cause or influence the place of sitting: eg, "I was sat at the second table at the reception." Otherwise, "I was sitting" seems to sound like what I would hear, here in USA.

12. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Nobody wants to be accused of being in the Waitrose clique...

13. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

The first rule of the Waitrose clique, is that nobody talks about the Waitrose clique...

russel and wacko like this.
  14. Romulus

Romulus pfm Member

Wow have we in England slummed down so low.....? Is bog standard English now too snooty?

15. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

F**k yeah!

TheDecameron likes this.
  16. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

There was a roundabout here over further and farther not long ago, with most expressing that either further should become de facto or that they're interchangeable. I don't think it's too snooty as much as it's intellectually lazy. As I said then, can we use farthermore now?

17. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

Shirley this should be slumped down so low, or sunk so low? slummed down low seems a bit odd, each to his, or her own i suppose.
    I think English is a bit lazy anyway inn't? When a word like saw can be used for, seeing in the past tense, and a tool for er... sawing.

18. wacko

wacko pfm Member

There are millions of people all over the world who speak a more correct form of English than millions of British citizens. Take it as a compliment.

19. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

Now this man knows how to use the English language to good effect, very special.

[​IMG]

TheDecameron likes this.
  20. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

My pc offered the option to 'click to show full-sized version,' but it's completely big enough....