1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Trump Part 18

Discussion in 'off topic' started by kendo, Oct 10, 2019.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

if you and others did that with corporate sponsored media, then OK. yet people here only seem to obsess about it with independent journalists who have been forced to these fringes. it's more than a bit hypocritical.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 5:42 AM
    Wilson, Marky-Mark and maxflinn like this.
  2. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

Do you also do this when the source is CNN, Fox, NBC, BBC, MSNBC, Ch4, NYT, Wapo etc?

3. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

I think it's a somewhat coerced evolution that has serendipitously (if you're power mad or holding big money) discredited a mainstream media desperately adjusting to survive an increasingly competitive microwave meal internet news machine. And so it's not really news anymore; it's an al a carte selection of what's hip where truth is optional.

I'd say this is where paying attention to those you loathe is important, like when Kellyanne Conway muttered the famous "alternative facts" defense. It clues you to how those people go about finding vectors of advantage.

4. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

It's already well known that the mainstream media agenda is to preserve the status quo. (With subtle gradations across the spectrum as for which components of the status quo are most important...)

To promote the reporters on RT and Empire Files as plucky independents is either naive or disingenuous.

5. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

it wasn't a blanket promotion. we all know very well who chris hedges is (i also happen to know abby martin).

6. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

Yes, to preserve the status quo by lying, brainwashing, smearing, setting out what's up for discussion and what's not, implanting narratives in heads etc. All in the interest of the owners of said media, the military industrial complex, Wall St, big Pharma.....Nothing mainstream media does or says is in the interests of the masses. Mainstream media is a grotesque, dangerous, destructive, deceitful, divisive, corrupt thing which is the enemy of democracy.

But nobody has done so. You asked if Empire Files was sponsored by Venezuela, another country demonised by mainstream media. The implication being that as a source Empire Files could not be trusted, or at least that it deserves more scrutiny because of its links to Venezuela.

The way I see it is fair enough, scrutinise away, but scrutinise Western mainstream media at least as much. Sadly, few do, and that's a big problem IMO.

7. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

You say that, then cite a front page story in The Sun!

8. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

It's relevant to that particular thread. And the source isn't the Sun.

9. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Trump is here so i get woken up by Chinooks over my flat at 5am.

10. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

Contrary to what those toking hard on 40 character joints think, I'd say you could replace mainstream media with the Internet and both are accurate :)

maxflinn likes this.
  11. Yank

And your "alternative" sources aren't?

12. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

He really hates Justin Trudeau. Maybe Melania made an unguarded comparison.

13. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

More like this:

[​IMG]

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  14. matt j

matt j pfm Member

So he's going home early from this Nato shindig in a huff because everyone is laughing at him. I wonder, if he's so thin skinned that if they laughed at him hard enough he'd blow a country up out of pure rage. His red button finger must be itching tonight.

15. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Such statesmanship. C4 News called him “The Grinch who stole the Summit”.

16. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

17. Yank

His head looks like a burn victim. (with apologies to any burn victims here)

18. Wilson

Wilson _

President Tump's doesn't look much better.

19. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Remainiac Terrorist

I think the last time the US and Canada got into it, Canada won and the Whitehouse was burned.

We were on the side of Canada that time. It still belonging to the Queen an all.

20. Wilson

Wilson _

“Canada did not burn down the White House during the War of 1812, which was fought with Britain over maritime rights. What is now Canada was not yet a country in 1812, but rather British colonies.”